RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
Yeah...I head to learn how to do all of this in grades 4-6. I also had to take 12-week course on this in 8th grade because, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania then mandated it.
Toastie Postie @ToastiePostie
The English Teacher's Daughter FB #humor
07:38 PM - May 04, 2024
07:40 PM - May 04, 2024
ss m
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
In a related story, I was in the last class at my hs to learn how to use a slide ruler to do our calc’s in chemistry & physics. Basic hand held calculators were too expensive to expect students to own.

Then we used punch cards for the computer main frame in college. We carried huge boxes of cards.
10:42 PM - May 04, 2024
Carol
B
In response to ss m.
I did that, too. Had to get time in the room to use the machine to punch our cards, then drop them off to be run. Usually had time to go to dinner then come back to pick up our job. If you made one mistake on the deck you had to go back to punch a correct card then take it back to be run again.
11:01 PM - May 04, 2024
Carol
B
In response to ss m.
And yes I also learned to use a slide rule and log tables in high school. Makes you really appreciate how far we have come.
11:04 PM - May 04, 2024
Jeff Russell
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Pretty much this is how the FBI checked names for all government agencies and the Armed Forces clear up through the 70's. Fingerprints were the same way. All checked manually by clerks until it was upgraded via technology. I knew FBI clerks who did this all day long on production quotas.
07:44 PM - May 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}