J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 1/7
More about this: so years and years ago, I’m an underclassmen in college and it’s very close to the end of the school yr., and I won’t get into all of the details, but I was at a place that I knew I shouldn’t have been and doing something I knew I shouldn’t have.
J.Nguilly Wonka @joliverwils
Wooboy! A LOT going on here. And I do have ?’s, but I’ll keep it to this for now -who’s paying AFTER the arrest?
If this were my child, I’d be like “ok, bet”
1. Me & your mom not paying to bail you out.
2. Me & your mom not paying for an atty.
3. Me & your mom not paying your fines and court costs.
11:21 AM - May 05, 2024
03:29 PM - May 05, 2024 (Edited)
J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 2/7
Anyways, cop shows up out of nowhere and I find myself in the back of THEIR vehicle. I was absolutely terrified! All I could think about was how I was letting my parents down, letting myself down. How disappointed they were going to be! Will my scholarship be threatened?
03:31 PM - May 05, 2024
J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 3/7
Will this impact my academic record?
Will this impact future job opportunities if I have a criminal record? Not these feelings this person is alleging. Maybe Laura is white. But being a black male, being “arrested” is not something I would’ve shrugged about or taken lightly.
03:33 PM - May 05, 2024
J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 4/7
And…AND I would not find it so easy to not take into consideration what this would do to my parents, especially if I was so aware, as Laura appears to be, of the GD sacrifices her parents made for her to be there - at Columbia University.
03:33 PM - May 05, 2024
J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 5/7
Cop writes me a citation and court date is scheduled after finals, and I have to appear before a judge. I have to take the bus to the courthouse and I have no lawyer.
03:34 PM - May 05, 2024
J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 6/7
The courtroom in and of itself is f*cking intimidating and petrifying, and as you wait to have your case number called, you get to see all of the other people that are there waiting to go before the judge as well and the look on their faces is how I imagine mine was - expressing “wtf did I do?”
03:35 PM - May 05, 2024 (Edited)
J.Nguilly Wonka
A
thread 7/7
So yeah Laura, it is a fucking big deal. You want to protest, protest by all means. But for the sake of your parents, do it during your summer vacation. Protest. Volunteer. Donate. Do all of the things. Don’t have their sacrifices be in vain, that’s all.
03:35 PM - May 05, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}