Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans
A
I wholeheartedly agree! They run the gamut, too, from sweet to dry. Brooks Winery and Trisaetum are two of my favorite wineries. WillaKenzie and Elk Cove are gorgeous to visit, WillaKenzie making an estate chardonnay that is heavenly and Elk Cove making a lovely dessert wine.
Bob - Garden is Life @trebuchetguy
I've had a couple different Oregon Rieslings this weekend. Outstanding. I'm too lazy to get into details now, but in the past decade Oregon has put forward some really top tier Rieslings. Attached pic is the universal sign for "Bob's drinking alone tonight." Don't like to, but will if I have to.
09:23 PM - May 05, 2024
09:43 PM - May 05, 2024
Melinda Nowikowski
A
In response to Elle Faba Prefers Bears to Humans.
We took a couple of curated tours in WA and OR some years ago. Elk Cove was on the tour, they're fantastic.
10:40 PM - May 05, 2024
A
In response to Melinda Nowikowski.
When I turned 50 a few years ago, spent a week in the Willamette Valley wine tasting to celebrate, Elk Cove being one of the wineries. Went back the next year with two friends and discovered WillaKenzie. It was just lovely. Did take a day to run out to the ocean too.
10:45 PM - May 05, 2024
Melinda Nowikowski
A
It was one of our milestone anniversaries - we try to do something nice on the big ones. Flew from OH to Portland and did the OR wine area, then drove a rental up through WA and visited Seattle, did a wine tour. We also did this in CA, and also VA and the Finger Lakes in NY. We have a theme.
10:49 PM - May 05, 2024
A
What a great idea for milestone anniversaries! Have only briefly been to Napa and celebrated a friends birthday in Temecula. Haven't been to Finger Lakes or VA wine country but would be interesting to compare.
10:53 PM - May 05, 2024
Melinda Nowikowski
A
There's a winery in New York State that does mostly West Coast grapes, but in their climate - the pinot and cabernet is really interesting, in a different climate and soil. Mr. N and I are both kind of sciency nerds, so that part of it is really interesting.
11:01 PM - May 05, 2024
A
It is pretty cool to learn how the same grape will produce such different flavors depending where it's grown. There's so much that can be nerded out about with wine!
11:10 PM - May 05, 2024
Melinda Nowikowski
A
There was a biology professor from Wright State U who started a winery north of us. We've been there a few times - he died right before COVID, we haven't been back, but he also was growing some oddball stuff, some created for the Midwest, some from out of region. Wine geek winery owners are great.
11:14 PM - May 05, 2024
Melinda Nowikowski
A
His family still runs the winery - maybe we'll go when we start seeing an end in sight to moving out west, there are several places we want to visit before we're out of OH for good.
11:17 PM - May 05, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}