Vicki with an eye
A
A pair of Barred Owls flew within 10 ft of my kitchen window the other day, swooped just below so I had a top-down view, so pretty! Landed on a branch near the yard...
01:53 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
In response to Vicki with an eye.
What a thrill! Let's hope they're back again soon.
02:02 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Yes! I missed them this year after they didn't return to where they had nested in a hollow tree on the hillside here, now THAT was a thrill of a lifetime to watch over several days! Here is the last of 2 fledgling about to leave the nest...
02:14 PM - May 05, 2024 (Edited)
Jody
A
Awesome!! I'm so jealous. I have a pair that nests behind us but the nesting tree is obscured by vines. But they do usually bring the kids down to see us.
They didn't nest this year but they still come to visit regularly. I just love seeing them 😍🦉
03:27 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Me too! I feel so blessed to get to watch them! 👀😍
03:38 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
Yesterday the pair came to the yard together and actually hung out for a while. He's quite timid but she isn't :) She's on the left.
03:51 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Beautiful! What a great shot❣️🥰
03:54 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
Thanks. It's hard to miss when they just sit there looking fabulous :)
03:54 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Indeed! They are so incredibly beautiful and stately. I came upon this one deep in the woods and stood watching it a while, then it flew off, I was able to get a freeze frame of it's taking off
03:59 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
I LOVE that shot! Well done!
04:03 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Thanks! Here's the clip, was lucky to even get a partially still frame, it was so fast! I loved how it seemed to want to give me a show 🥰
04:15 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
Yesterday was a banner day - they were smoooooching in my yard 😘😘
https://youtu.be/gLheN3p5j...
Pair of Barred Owls stops by at dawn - YouTube

A resident pair of Barred Owls stopped by at dawn. He's on the left.

04:36 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Omg that's amazing to be able to see, much less capture on video! So very cool❣️😍
05:31 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
Okay this is nuts...I just went out to grill a burger and guess who showed up? Sorry, these are just the phone photos so far...
06:02 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Your yard is a popular go-to hangout for them! They must be nesting near by.. must be a good omen! We are so fortunate to get to see them 😍
06:11 PM - May 05, 2024
Jody
A
Their nesting tree is just 50 feet behind where you see them. I just happened to buy a house in "their district" 🤣
07:11 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
Yes! Me too, but the ones from last year didn't return to their nest her this year but hoping they will some day. They're definitely around! I realized they had a nest here was when I was taking this video and it turned around and flew into the hollow in the tree beside it,
07:52 PM - May 05, 2024 (Edited)
Jody
A
You are SO fortunate to be able to spot the nest! Ours is close, just can't see it.
Something happened to the hen last year after she raised a chick. She disappeared and the chick has now paired up with the male! So she's too immature to nest this year, prolly next though.
Here's she is last year
08:21 PM - May 05, 2024
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to Jody.
😍 omg she's gorgeous!! What a shot, they seem to be very comfortable with you! One the leaves came over ours, it was barely visible. I was careful observing while they nested not to offend, don't wanna be on the receiving end of those talons! 😆
08:06 AM - May 06, 2024 (Edited)
Jody
A
I swear my yard is theirs too - her especially since she has seen me since she fledged. But like you, I try to keep a very low profile.
08:07 AM - May 06, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}