Tracy I
A
thread 1/5
Hung out with some lesbian friends yesterday. One is a single teacher of traditional retirement age who retired last year and moved to Virginia. Another is in her late 50s and just retired last week, her wife is a retired accountant. Another is in her 40s with 20 years in teaching and planning at
02:20 PM - May 06, 2024
Tracy I
A
thread 2/5
least 10 more. Engaged to a fellow teacher at her location. Teachers, for those who don't know, remain some of the most closeted members of the LGBTQ+ community. There's a history to this, especially in California. An effort to ban teachers from teaching entirely almost passed in 1978, and there are
Tracy I
A
thread 3/5
those who keep trying. The teacher culture in general tends toward keeping one's private life private. HOWEVER our discussion went down the path of if one is legally married, that is public record. There's actually no expectation in public life that one keep who one is married to private EXCEPT
Tracy I
A
thread 4/5
in subcultures such as teaching where the very real possibility of employment discrimination exists, laws aside. A disruptive parent or student can still jeopardize a teacher's career with "revelations" about their personal life. We all lamented the fact that here we are 10 years into legal marriage
Tracy I
A
thread 5/5
and we still have the mind set that we need to make others comfortable as if our existence is the problem. Isn't the problem YOUR attitude and "beliefs"? How do these still trump (dual associations of the word appropriate here) our very existence?

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}