Timara (she/her)
A
thread 1/6
Dropbox delivered its diversity report earlier this year. And I have a few thoughts...
Timara (she/her) @timara
I love it when companies produce diversity reports. I think all companies should be mandated to produce them yearly. It's also interesting to see how companies verbalize their outlook on DEI and how the raw numbers stack up. And I have thoughts...
08:15 PM - Aug 31, 2023
08:34 PM - May 07, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 2/6
What I shared last year still stands. While Dropbox waxed poetically about its strides, there's room for concern.

The demographic breakdown is essentially unchanged if you focus on American Indians and Pacific Islanders, Hispanics, and Blacks.
08:37 PM - May 07, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 3/6
It actually looks like at least one Hispanic leader exited the company last year.

Despite an increase in hiring for all three demographics, the end result is still the same.

And that's concerning for many reasons.
08:39 PM - May 07, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 4/6
That tells me that, despite the marketing around DEIB (internally and externally), there still seems to be an environment where growth is stunted for the most marginalized.

And while I'm not shocked by this, it's still sad to see.
08:41 PM - May 07, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 5/6
I also anticipate that if the political structure goes the way white supremacists want it to, DEIB will soon be a thing of the past.

So, if anything, this is like a participation trophy many people accused Millennial children of receiving growing up. 🤷🏾‍♀️
08:43 PM - May 07, 2024
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 6/6
Oh, and I can't forget layoffs. Companies should be as transparent about their layoffs when discussing their diversity in their annual reports. As, one affects the other and both are connected.
08:46 PM - May 07, 2024
dariasteigman
A
In response to Timara (she/her).
Great 🧵.
Read this earlier today on the companies talking about caring while supporting hate.

https://popular.info/p/con...
08:55 PM - May 07, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}