Paul Chenoweth
A
My observation as a rural resident in the US Tornado Alley:
When it comes to sales, the terms used for a less expensive pre-fab housing is something like "Modular Home". In the aftermath of a tornado when these things are tossed around and shredded, the news reports them as a "Mobile Home/Trailer".
07:58 AM - May 08, 2024
Lynne Parker
A
In response to Paul Chenoweth.
To imply it is the owner's fault for living in a flimsy house.
Lived in Kansas for 18 years. Saw the aftermath of the Andover tornado in '92. I saw what was once a rich neighborhood, flattened. Three concrete steps led to nothing instead of a huge brick home. I'll never forget that devastation.
08:06 AM - May 08, 2024
Paul Chenoweth
A
Lynne, I've witnessed the same thing with larger homes destroyed within a mile of my property...what I don't understand is news reporters targeting a "Mobile Home Park" either intentionally or unintentionally because of the extreme visuals and often poorer (stereotyped) interview subjects.
In response to Lynne Parker.
08:31 AM - May 08, 2024
Lynne Parker
A
In response to Paul Chenoweth.
I saw the same thing. Little to no mention of the million dollar homes but ravenous coverage of the trailers (I live in one now). It's the Blame the Victim game. Part of it, too, is the fear that the homeless poor will end up on the public dole. More victim blaming.
08:46 AM - May 08, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}