Nefarious Newt
A
I'm not sure there is a good way. There are precious few states with any kind of law regarding it. Usually it requires an accident before authorities will step in and suspend driving privileges. ☹
Josol @Josol1626
Serious question. How do you take away the car/driving from senior parents (89) when they are adamantly unwilling to stop. I understand they want their independence but there are major safety issues here. They are wanting to buy out the lease and keep the car. Anyone here had success with this?
07:45 AM - May 10, 2024
07:48 AM - May 10, 2024
Josol
A
In response to Nefarious Newt.
My husband & I were at a stoplight recently and saw them pull out of Costco. They were driving like they were in a race! We freaked out. We said something to them and they blew us off. Now my FIL is getting forgetful (he is the driver) & my MIL doesn’t want to give up the car. It is a shitshow.
07:52 AM - May 10, 2024
John Willis
B
I disconnected & hid the battery to my mom's car towards the end of her driving career. It was going to be an even bigger disaster had I not done that
Once I was POA, I sold the car & put the money in her account
If they are adamant, & still coherent, even if they can't drive for shit, it's a mess.
In response to Josol.
09:24 AM - May 10, 2024
Josol
A
In response to John Willis.
That is where we are. I can’t get the keys without them. If I disconnect anything they will just have the dealer get it and fix it-it it is a lease. They are trying to buy out the lease! They are fairly coherent - but memory /physical response time is slow (they can barely walk) & drive like shit!
09:37 AM - May 10, 2024
John Willis
B
In response to Josol.
At this point I think a friendly call to the local police would be your next course of action. Express your concerns and clarify the situation and let them know your hands are tied. That's probably all you can do. Maybe a call to the DMV?
11:04 AM - May 10, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}