Literate Lawyer
A
thread 1/8
#bookreview #bookrecommendation AFTER ANNIE by Anna Quindlen. I loved this so much! Even though I couldn’t really identify with a single character, I became invested in their stories.

The book is somewhat unique in that the title character dies on the first page.
10:42 AM - May 11, 2024
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 2/8
That opens the door to a new world survivors must navigate after Annie, a 37yo nursing home aide and mother, is no longer there to guide, support, love and amuse them.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 3/8
Her husband Bill is stunned by grief (“The foreverness of it shocked him every single day”) and consumed by supporting his family on only his income as a plumber. That leaves most of the household duties, including caring for her three younger brothers, for 13yo Ali.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 4/8
Perhaps equally devastated and vulnerable is Annie’s fragile best friend Annemarie, a recovering opioid addict who has leaned on Annie to remain sober.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 5/8
There are many other characters including Annie’s sister and her nursing home patients, Bill’s dominating, selfish mother and his high school girlfriend, Ali’s best friend with her own serious problems, and a kind therapist who helps Ali, her struggling oldest brother and Bill heal.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 6/8
The point of the story is despite Annie’s devastating absence, felt by her family and friends every day, she remains with them. She has already shaped their lives to such a degree that they make a “memory person” in their own way and constantly “hear” her.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 7/8
By the end of the novel, you have grown to know and love Annie, too, and even though “the silence left by that one woman was as big as the sky” you realuze she lives on through the people who knew and loved her.
Literate Lawyer
A
thread 8/8
On this Mother’s Day weekend, AFTER ANNIE is a beautiful tribute to mothers everywhere. Quindlen has done it again, giving us a heartbreaking yet heartwarming story that will linger long after you read the last page. Highly recommended.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}