Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/4
The coolest thing for me about Orcas sinking yachts (besides how terrifyingly intelligent Orcas are), is that at the same time this really got going, I was researching the Golden Age of Piracy. And at some point I realized Orcas were using basically the same methods.
10:17 PM - May 13, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/4
Ie, sit on a major shipping lane (in this case the Straight of Gibraltar), gang up in groups to attack small, vulnerable vessels, and disable key equipment (ie the rudder).

They're also a lot less murderous than their name/reputation suggests, which was true of (some) Golden Age pirates.
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/4
To what extent exactly Orcas are aware of, plan, or coordinate their actions I can't say. The motives are doubtless different, and some things (like boarding, obviously) don't translate. But Orcas are fucking smart. They absolutely use creative tactics, coordinate, and teach each other.
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/4
Also, in a fitting coincidence, Orcas' natural colours are the same as those of the iconic pirate Jolly Roger.

They are 100% whale pirates, at least the ones who attack yachts, and I love them for it.
#Orcas #Pirates #WhalePirates
Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
Orcas are just one of the foot soldiers in a grand plan...

Bwahahahahahahahaha....

https://spoutible.com/thread/31407822
10:58 PM - May 13, 2024
Jen The Muse
A
In response to Kayla 🌱 🥋 F 🤿 🦈.
Perhaps we should collaborate.....I'm working on a line of octopus that don't die after laying their eggs. Generational learning project ;)
07:54 AM - May 14, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}