Jim Plunkett
A
This is not at random

This is an actual Republican plan to corrupt the elections

I personally heard discussions of the general plan among R party officials as far back as 1996, although it was not this extreme, jut working to tilt the local tables, not outright commit fraud
R H @AtreyuBastian
10:00 PM - May 14, 2024
10:11 PM - May 14, 2024
Ground Control
A
In response to Jim Plunkett.
Still, forewarned is indeed forearmed. These plans only really work when no one sees them coming. Also, pouring sand in the gears only gets you so far without follow through. This crowd has always sucked at that second part.
10:21 PM - May 14, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
In response to Ground Control.
Our problem is people who vote for Dems *really* suck at voting consistently - they aren't interested in power and just cannot be bothered unless strongly motivated & not distracted (e.g., 'protest' vote)

In contrast, Rs are more disciplined

This year we MUST run up the score, but will enuf vote?
09:19 AM - May 15, 2024
Ground Control
A
Forgive me for saying this but how many off-elections do we have to win before you realize NONE of this is true anymore?

MAGA destroyed the Rs' discipline and secrecy, replaced it with spite and openness. What was true of Boomers and Gen X is not even close to right for Gen Z and Millennials.
09:30 AM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
A run of three full election cycles where WH, Senate House, and 26+ states are all in Dem control

It's just human nature:

Ppl whose basic outlook is fear prefer authoritarians and are disciplined

Ppl who live with hope prefer democracy, but generally have better things to do

Rs exploit this
09:43 AM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
So, maybe, if Ds absolutely sweep 2024, enough to expand SCOTUS, and sweep 2028, and '32, and '36, then I'd say we have a good trend

But it'd still not surprise me to see it deteriorate again

Look at the 1930s-40s; FDR & Ds seemed invincible

But Ds lost the plot in 1968 and are still back-footed
09:47 AM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
BTW, great question!
09:50 AM - May 15, 2024
Ground Control
A
Exactly why I asked it. It's helpful to remember that the deterioration of the Dems you just spilled out is exactly the arc the GOP is on right now (with some tweaks, of course).

I fully expect an R wipeout this year. That will necessitate a full rebuild, one decade minimum, likely longer.
10:00 AM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
Yes, Rs do seem to be on a self-destroying course

I think we are seeing both globally and nationally the authoritarians fighting like the proverbial cornered rat

They really are at existential risk

So, yes, we're close to victory, but can't take our eyes off the prize - remember the Balrog's tail
10:49 AM - May 15, 2024
Ground Control
A
I also remember Gandalf taking that fucker down.
01:48 PM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
Yes, & it took far more effort than expected, just when we thought it was done; not unlike our situation

I just hope it doesn't take the level of fighting to take down these fucking wannabe-despots as it took to take down Mussolini, Tojo, & Hitler.

Tide's turning, but it's not done 'till it's dead
02:00 PM - May 15, 2024
Ground Control
A
If anybody, Ukraine is more likely to be taking the worst of that. I'd also say the UK, given how the very successful Russian op for Brexit and the subsequent Tory governments have crippled them.

But MAGA? They can be squashed and so we should...with extreme prejudice.
03:08 PM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
YES, they must ALL be squashed, here, there, and everywhere

Authoritarians have assembled due to global threat to their lifestyle from spreading democracy & international Rule Of Law (e,g, international banking transparency, personal sanctions, etc)

The entire global infestation must be rooted out
04:11 PM - May 15, 2024
Ground Control
A
I also think some of them got comfortable during the Cold War at being a "necessary evil" and then a few of them (looking at you, Putin) got unduly ambitious about expanding.

As you say, we need to explain in no uncertain terms what kind of a mistake they've made.
04:15 PM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
Yes, I'm glad to see Biden ever more serious about sanctions vs China

Too many policy wonks liked the status quo

But the fact is, the Grand Experiment, born of post-WWII experience, failed. Increasing commerce & communications did NOT bring democracy to dictatorships, it empowered the dictators
04:19 PM - May 15, 2024
Ground Control
A
Francisco Franco's Spain was both a model for successful dictatorships (that has rarely been followed) and a cautionary tale on how little things change just because of economics.

I remain convinced fascism became a thing only because monarchy and nobility got killed in the World Wars.
04:22 PM - May 15, 2024
Jim Plunkett
A
Fair assessment. Although if we go back to the beginning of each hereditary monarchy, wouldn't we find another fascist/authoritarian seizing power?

Are hereditary monarchies are more stable b/c they have incentives to be not-absolutely-despotic so heirs retain power & can train heirs from birth?
04:31 PM - May 15, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}