thejustini
A
thread 1/6
We all know newspapers are having it rough. One solution The Times has found to keep subscribers is a useful case study on how to permanently lose them.

The Times offered a £1 for six months introductory offer.
12:30 PM - May 16, 2024
thejustini
A
thread 2/6
The only thing is buried somewhere in the fine print is that the trial period lasts 14-days, not the introductory period of six months. If you don't cancel in 14 days, you will be locked into a contract.
thejustini
A
thread 3/6
Since the terms "introduction" and "trial" are often used interchangeably, it's easy to see how one can think that they have six months to cancel. That kind of word-subterfuge smells deliberate.
thejustini
A
thread 4/6
A few other notes that make The Times subscription model a hostage-taking by design:

-- You are forced to call to cancel (Int'l subscribers can at least use chat). Being forced to pay charges/ spend time to wait for an agent adds another psychological barrier to cancellation.
thejustini
A
thread 5/6
-- There is no friendly reminder "Your trial is soon ending," like many responsible digital companies offer. You might lose a customer short term, but you keep the door open for the future.

I am absolutely responsible for not reading the fine print.
thejustini
A
thread 6/6
But I can absolutely guarantee I will never read The Times again, either.

Newsflash for The Times and others: Companies that have to trick users into being paid customers are not worthy companies.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}