Professor Kyle
A
This kind of thing is why I stopped supporting the ACLU. Running to defend white supremacists in the name of free speech is warped.
10:36 AM - May 17, 2024
Illegitimate Scotus
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Agree. The ACLU’s free speech absolutism is highly problematic. They are on the wrong side of the “is money = speech” issue and on the issue of banning hate speech. They do a lot of good work otherwise…
12:41 PM - May 17, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
The law's application must be blind. Helps to read the facts and examine the law as if the defendants are Black Lives Matter activists, bc one day, it will be. The AG says they did that, and it's a valid application. The racists are entitled to representation and the ACLU isn't wrong to provide it.
12:10 PM - May 17, 2024
My Flying Car 2020
A
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
The act of defending someone can be but isn't necessarily an attorney's endorsement of the defendant, but it is always an endorsement of everyone's Constitutional rights. Sometimes that means defending deplorables, just like how public defenders defend both innocent and guilty people.
12:14 PM - May 17, 2024 (Edited)
just alex
A
For me it was learning that they supported Citizen’s United.
😏
12:09 PM - May 17, 2024
Sarah Apfel
A
Yup. I stopped giving when they decided to represent the NRA. Now I have yet another reason besides that horrible decision to give to ACLU street canvassers when they hit me up (and to a person they've agreed with me that it was a really piss-poor choice).
10:45 AM - May 17, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}