Angela
A
thread 1/4
This talk of women walking out on the sexist man reminds me of when I attended a conservative Christian high school. There was an air band competition and the participants got to promote themselves with posters. One of the groups named themselves with a slur used against Middle Easterners.
11:25 AM - May 17, 2024
Angela
A
thread 2/4
My best bud at the time was Black (where she was vastly outnumbered by white kids). We saw the poster and both thought it was a problem so we went to our religion teacher who was in charge of the event. His response was "Well it's not like it says n*****." And refused to do anything about it.
Angela
A
thread 3/4
We tried to convince him that racism is racism but he shut us down saying there were no Middle Eastern students so there was no one to offend. After he ordered us back to class my friend went and tore down the poster, marched into the Principal's office, and threw it at his feet. She was suspended.
Angela
A
thread 4/4
I wish I could say I witnessed her act of bravery but I had gone back to class and didn't find out she'd been suspended until after school. I wish I could say I was brave enough to argue with the Principal but at that point it felt pointless. They never did make the racists change their band name.
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Angela.
Good for her for standing up for what's right. It can be a very hard thing to do.
12:19 PM - May 17, 2024
Angela
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Yes! What's really cool is we're still friends over 30 years later and she actually lives near me in Chicago.
12:30 PM - May 17, 2024
Tracy I
A
In response to Angela.
This story is so real! Bringing up a wrong in a whole environment that condones it, seldom gets immediate resolution.
12:14 PM - May 17, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}