Socio-gen
A
thread 1/2
I'm gonna say this, as a parent and as a former kid: Stop making your kid(s) eat things they do not want to! Our dinner out tonight was... not ruined, but affected, by parents who forced a 4-5yo child eat fish after they very clearly, repeatedly, said the smell made them sick.

A bite literally did.
06:07 PM - May 17, 2024 (Edited)
Socio-gen
A
thread 2/2
I'm not saying don't encourage your child(ren) to try new foods, but if they're insistent about not wanting to eat something, let it go and just encourage them the next time.

Forcing children eat anything is just counter-productive in every way.
06:07 PM - May 17, 2024
Roberta Calm-in-the-storm
A
In response to Socio-gen.
And sometimes the kid knows something "is not right". Mine didn't like anything with peanuts from a small age, I didn't make them eat them. At 13, was diagnosed with severe peanut allergy. The dr. was amazed we'd never had an ER visit before due to the severity.
01:49 AM - May 18, 2024
PhiNight
A
In response to Socio-gen.
We instituted a one-bite law: Everyone, *adults included,* had to take one tiny bite of anything new, and no more (until a year later) if they didn't like it. The reasoning that always convinced was "what if you never tried a single bite of chocolate??" Never had any drama; kids grew up very open..
06:50 PM - May 17, 2024
PhiNight
A
In response to PhiNight.
We never forced a kid to try something in a restaurant, though, and if the smell ever made someone feel sick, they weren't expected to try it.
06:55 PM - May 17, 2024
Roberta Calm-in-the-storm
A
In response to PhiNight.
We called it the "no thank you" bite! Just take one bite and if you don't like it you can say, "no, thank you"
01:51 AM - May 18, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}