kegz
A
I need to diversify who I follow because there is entirely too much 45 and GOP "clapback" content on my timeline.

I get it. They're the worst. But I'm just tired of seeing/hearing it.

What have y'all done that's interesting? Accomplished any goals lately? Watched or read something good?

An
10:46 AM - Feb 07, 2023
Emily Wilbury
A
In response to kegz.
A friend got me into RuPaul's Drag Race and I'm catching up on older seasons. so creative! Also podcasts about cults - I'm fascinated by how people can have so much influence over others.
11:13 AM - Feb 07, 2023
kegz
A
In response to Emily Wilbury.
I haven't watched Drag Race yet. I've not really been interested in reality lately, but I suspect I'll like it if I try it.

Okay, but have you seen sean 2 of The Vow on HBO? I NEED to talk about it!!!
11:19 AM - Feb 07, 2023
Emily Wilbury
A
In response to kegz.
I live right near the NXIVM cult! We knew about them for years but didn't know about the secret sex cult. It came off like one of those self-improvement scams like Landmark. I haven't watched The Vow yet but it sounds right up my alley.

If you watch Drag Race I would start w/ season 5.
11:29 AM - Feb 07, 2023
kegz
A
OMGOMGOMG!!!! Tell me EVERYTHING!!! Also, season 1 of The Vow was kind of meh, but season 2 really gets into the crimes that were being committed, the level of manipulation that was going on, and the real impacts on people's lives
12:07 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Emily Wilbury
A
In response to kegz.
Also Raniere's lawyer in the trial was a career prosecutor of sex crimes. He had retired & opened a private practice where he uses all that expertise to defend the same type of criminals he used to prosecute. Total Darth Vader move.
11:10 AM - Feb 08, 2023
kegz
A
Whoa! WTF???

You'd think someone who prosecuted those types of crimes especially would have some principles around that. But nope...I guess not
11:31 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Emily Wilbury
A
In response to kegz.
Idk if this was in The Vow, but there was a child Raniere had supposedly adopted & wanted to raise communally. It turned out the kid's bio mom was in the cult and fled with him a couple years later. I think she came back to testify in the trial.

The local paper had been covering them since 2003
11:09 AM - Feb 08, 2023
Emily Wilbury
A
Oops meant to post this link - local coverage going back to 2003

https://thefallofnxivm.com/coverage-publication/times-union/
11:11 AM - Feb 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}