Therese Brosseau
A
Anyone???
Therese Brosseau @TSBros
Can someone explain to me in simple terms why it is so important which state holds the first presidential primary? Does it influence how the rest of us vote? Does it serve to "clear the field" of multiple candidates? Glorified poll? Seems like a WAY bigger deal than it should be.
10:00 AM - Feb 07, 2023
02:10 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Virginia
A
In response to Therese Brosseau.
The early primaries set the narrative for who is winning or losing the primaries. A lot of candidates drop out after only a few states. Prioritizing states that reflect the Dem voter base gives those folks a bigger voice.

Tactfully, Iowa & NH are VERY white.
02:17 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Therese Brosseau
A
In response to Virginia.
Ah...that makes sense.So historically, it could be argued that a popular candidate amongst non-white dems may have dropped out before making it to a more diverse state and conversely, I suppose, voters in less diverse states might take a closer look at someone they wouldn't have considered.
02:36 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Jason .H.
A
In response to Therese Brosseau.
It essentially sets a precedence, gets delegates names and desired policies out there.
02:15 PM - Feb 07, 2023
Therese Brosseau
A
In response to Jason .H..
But why does it matter which state goes first? That's what I don't understand.It seems like NH and IA have their noses bent over the change to SC. And others are really excited about the change as being important because Biden did so well there. But why does that matter?
02:24 PM - Feb 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}