Madeleine
A
Our entire family was devastated when my grandfather died due to complications from a blood clot years ago. Loss of our patriarch, soul mate of my grandmother and source of income (he owned a bar-restaurant in NYC) the ripples were felt for decades.
11:23 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Madeleine
A
In response to Madeleine.
Fast forward several decades. I developed a blood clot after simple office procedure, also one when I got Covid before there were vaccines. Stroke-like symptoms when I started oral birth control
11:25 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Madeleine
A
Finally a canny nurse-practitioner suggested I get a full blood test. And finally after all this time, we have a clue as to why my grandfather died relatively young after a plane ride across the Atlantic: a genetic disposition to form clots after all sorts of physical trauma.
11:29 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Madeleine
A
The cabin pressure in the plane caused his body to form a clot which caused a cascade of problems, finally leading to his death. Now I know, my doctors know and all my cousins and relatives know --- we carry a gene that might be the death of us
11:33 AM - Mar 23, 2023
Madeleine
A
Now we're aware and our doctors are aware to be careful and to be ready to take action if needed. In my case that includes knee surgery or simple vein ablation I wish we'd known that before Poppy died; we might have been able to keep him with us a little longer.
11:43 AM - Mar 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}