Carol the Donut
A
Random Musings: The Hunger Games was supposed to be this horrible dystopian America, but at least the people of Panem only had to worry about their kids being murdered once a year and not every time they leave for school.
09:11 AM - Mar 25, 2023
Ground Control
A
In response to Carol the Donut.
Is there ever a good time for your kid to die? And plenty of them got murdered when the war began.
09:15 AM - Mar 25, 2023
Carol the Donut
A
In response to Ground Control.
Although, if the biggest threat we faced as parents, causing us not to rebel for our freedoms, is that 23 kids would die… well damn that would be an improvement over what we have now
09:36 AM - Mar 25, 2023
Ground Control
A
Sounds a little too close to the sentiment the Athenians likely used to justify sending nine boys and nine girls to feed the Minotaur in Crete. And if one of those of 23 kids was your own...well, could you REALLY say that with a straight face?
10:44 AM - Mar 25, 2023
Carol the Donut
A
Of course not, no parent would. Again, the point of my post wasn’t that Panem is good :P
11:19 AM - Mar 25, 2023
Ground Control
A
Seems the argument was that Panem was better than our own situation. And if so, can't agree. All the Hunger Games did was delay the inevitable was some bread and circuses. If anything, I suspect it made the eventual and inevitable upheaval worse.
11:23 AM - Mar 25, 2023
Carol the Donut
A
Are you a lawyer? Because you’re doing that lawyer thing I do where I ruin people’s jokes or otherwise tongue-in-cheek statements with my pedantry.
09:32 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Ground Control
A
Such is how my thought process runs, for better or worse. I have no online irony detector and I take things very literally. And I NEVER consider the deaths of children, fictional or otherwise, a joke. Make of that what you will.
10:09 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Carol the Donut
A
The last point is fair, but you haven’t answered my question.
10:21 PM - Mar 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}