Adele Inglish
A
Once my school had an unexpected lockdown drill.

Usually these drills are announced ahead of time to the teachers. So even though I always act as if it's real, I know it's just a drill.

This one was not announced. 1/5
06:59 PM - Mar 27, 2023
Adele Inglish
A
In response to Adele Inglish.
So when the alarm went off I assumed it was real. I immediately sprang into action, just as we'd practiced. I made sure the classroom door was locked. I got my students to our safe place. I turned out the lights, closed the blinds, grabbed my radio and phone. Everyone was hidden within 1 minute. 2/5
07:05 PM - Mar 27, 2023
Adele Inglish
A
I quieted my students down and prayed with them that God would keep us safe. I didn't want them to panic so when they asked me, "Is it real, Mrs. Inglish?" I lied and told them it was only a drill. 3/5
07:11 PM - Mar 27, 2023
Adele Inglish
A
Once I got everyone hidden and quiet, I texted my husband. Other family would have followed but then we got word that we could come out. The principal had accidentally pressed the alarm button, resulting in our impromptu drill. The whole thing lasted 10 minutes. 4/5
07:13 PM - Mar 27, 2023 (Edited)
Adele Inglish
A
But for those 10 minutes I was very scared. I had never been scared for my life at school before.

That memory is fresh in my mind as I watch the news today. It could so easily be me.

I don't know what else to say or do to change things. It's just very hard to be a teacher right now 💔 5/5
07:17 PM - Mar 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}