Tim Wise
A
I am going to try and create a thread on here although I know the layout for that doesn't really exist yet. But something I posted on Twitter yesterday about the Covenant School shooting is worth repeating, so bear with me. It will be beneath this spout, in replies to replies to replies...
10:24 AM - Mar 28, 2023
Tim Wise
A
In response to Tim Wise.
Anyone seeking to connect the mass shooting in Nashville to the shooter's apparent trans or non-binary identity is trafficking in bigotry. There is no link between being trans & being violent. Prior mass shooters? Cisgender so far as we know. But no one blamed THAT...
10:25 AM - Mar 28, 2023
Tim Wise
A
In response to Tim Wise.
If there is ANY relevance to Hale's gender ID it would be only this: raised in a conservative Christian home (Hale's mom worked at The Village Chapel, a fundamentalist church w/very traditional views on sex/gender), they may have been told they were broken, sinful, etc...
10:25 AM - Mar 28, 2023 (Edited)
Tim Wise
A
In response to Tim Wise.
...or in rebellion to God or some such thing. Not that that would justify this horrible violence. It wouldn't. This was an evil act. Period. But if you're going to try and make it about trans ID, better look at how trans folks are treated by fundie Christians...
10:26 AM - Mar 28, 2023
Tim Wise
A
In response to Tim Wise.
There is nothing about trans identity or nonbinary identity, or classic gender dysphoria that connects to violence and homicidal tendencies. But shame and trauma are very much connected to both. Perhaps begin there...
Tim Wise
A
In response to Tim Wise.
Obviously, and let me say it again for the folks who will act like I didn't say it: I am NOT blaming transphobia for prompting Hale's actions. Murderers are responsible for murder...
Tim Wise
A
In response to Tim Wise.
AND another thing can be true at the same time: namely, we as a society need to think about how we treat people because there are correlates to violence. And telling people they are sinners and unGodly and broken is traumatizing and wrong...
10:27 AM - Mar 28, 2023
Tim Wise
A
...and it creates a hopelessness that can contribute to self-harm and other-harm. The shooter is to blame, but we all must take some responsibility. Certainly in a state like TN which has been working overtime to shun anything that deviates from the preferred Biblical "norm" (END of thread)
In response to Tim Wise.
10:27 AM - Mar 28, 2023
Paulie Amory
A
In response to Tim Wise.
It threaded very nicely! Thank you for saying this.
12:04 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
In response to Tim Wise.
That actually threaded perfectly and you have summed up beautifully how I have been feeling.

Holy forkballs Batman, does #Spoutible have threads now???
12:03 PM - Apr 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}