?SedonaRockss
A
Any hints from #CatLovers about older kittens, #rescuecats that go from sweet to rough/hurtful play on a dime would be appreciated. My hands/arms can't take much more. #catsofspoutible
09:13 AM - Mar 29, 2023
Susan Helene Gottfried
A
In response to ?SedonaRockss.
Please don't use the spray bottle. You need to keep toenails short, learn your cat's signals that they are overstimulated (I had one cat I could pet three times in a row! That was it!), and do not ever let your hands be toys. Overstimulation hurts them, too.
10:05 AM - Mar 29, 2023
?SedonaRockss
A
In response to Susan Helene Gottfried.
Why I'm confused. It's hard for me to understand how he's overstimulated when he's been lying on the sofe with me. Petting/purring earlier. Go in for a neck scratch 15 minutes later and BOOM. Fine forgoing the spray. Thank you.
10:13 AM - Mar 29, 2023
Susan Helene Gottfried
A
In response to Susan Helene Gottfried.
Yeah, it's a matter of learning to read their body language or their patterns of behavior. Watch the ears, the tail -- and the patterns. Once you figure those out, it'll be easier. Good luck and keep me posted!
11:43 AM - Mar 29, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
In response to ?SedonaRockss.
I have one with mega sharp claws. He does that and the second the claws come out, the hands are pulled away and hidden. He has learned to be more gentle.

I keep toys nearby to toss to him instead of my hands.

Having a spray bottle handy might also help. It only works on some cats.
09:18 AM - Mar 29, 2023
?SedonaRockss
A
In response to Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker.
Thank you. Sometimes he latches on so quickly. I read a few sites that discouraged the spray tecnique, but will save for last resort. 🐱
09:30 AM - Mar 29, 2023
?SedonaRockss
A
In response to Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker.
The substitution method worked on all of my teething puppies. This just seems...different. More aggressive. But I will pull out all the stops, starting with substitution. He has favorite toys already. Thanks again.
09:43 AM - Mar 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}