Matt Forbeck
A
I loved the D&D movie, but a couple of details from it really tickled me. I’ve been working professionally on D&D projects on and off since 2nd Edition, way back in 1994, but two books I worked on that popped up during the movie came out for 3E, in 2003. (20 years ago!)
05:49 PM - Apr 02, 2023
Matt Forbeck
A
In response to Matt Forbeck.
The first was the aarakocra. There’s a pivotal twist in an early scene that I caught coming from miles away because I (like many D&D fans) know what an aarakocra is. It’s also because I wrote up their entry as a playable PC type in RACES OF FAERûN.
Matt Forbeck
A
The second was Szass Tamm and the Red Wizards of Thay. As part of my work on UNAPPROACHABLE EAST, I got to write up that section of the Forgotten Realms, building on the work that Ed Greenwood and others did before me.
Matt Forbeck
A
I remember working on that book in 2002 well because as the deadline for it approached I had to contact my editor at Wizards of the Coast—Richard Baker—and tell him I was going to miss it. I remember Rich asking, “What’s up? You’re never late.”
Matt Forbeck
A
“My wife is pregnant with quadruplets, and she’s in the hospital on full bedrest while I take care of our three-year-old son.”

He paused for a moment and then said, “You take all the time you need.”
05:50 PM - Apr 02, 2023
Matt Forbeck
A
I did much of my work on that book while sitting at my wife’s bedside, typing on one of those orange clamshell iBooks, while Marty snuggled up next to her. I got it to Wizards fast enough that they didn’t need someone else to step in.
Matt Forbeck
A
Today, that three-year-old writes gaming books with me. (Look for his work on our Shotguns & Sorcery 5E sourcebook and my upcoming Marvel TTRPG.) And I got to watch the D&D movie with my wife and three of those quadruplets (the other’s off in Ecuador for a term abroad).
Matt Forbeck
A
It’s been a wild ride, and I am one lucky guy.

But anyhow, go see the D&D movie. You’ll love it too! (Although maybe not as much as me.)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}