Sciencebase
A
One of my wildlife passions is the Lepidoptera and so I do a bit of mothing as part of citizen science efforts.

I put the EMP pheromone lure out today and within 30', had the first Emperor of the year. He was a couple of weeks later than usual #TeamMoth #MothsMatter
09:00 AM - Apr 03, 2023
Sciencebase
A
In response to Sciencebase.
Just had a Hummingbird Hawk-moth through the garden, must've been overwintering, seems far too early for migrants just yet...
09:51 AM - Apr 04, 2023
Jo Brodie
A
In response to Sciencebase.
Is the EMP pheromone lure just a pheromone sprayed somewhere, e.g. on a plant or a physical 'thing' coated in pheromone? I'm imagining a fishing rod but instead of bait it's phermone-soaked something or other :)
09:11 AM - Apr 03, 2023
Sciencebase
A
In response to Jo Brodie.
It's a tiny rubber bung that's been dowsed with the pheromone. Some of them come in little ampoules. You hang it in a tree, you don't even need to open the ampoules, these creatures can detect a few molecules on the wind. If they're around they find it. You can net them or just observe
09:27 AM - Apr 03, 2023
Sciencebase
A
In response to Jo Brodie.
Once you've recorded, it's best practice to then put the lure away until next season, unless it's one that has a long list of species other than the target
09:28 AM - Apr 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}