Mark Hardwicke
A
In response to Pierson Tyler-Leonard.
Agreed! Drag as art
08:06 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
In response to Mark Hardwicke.
Of course "drag" has been a recognized & celebrated artform since the times of Shakespeare in the 1500's & there has been some form or another for centuries before & since.. The far right no longer have Gay's & Lesbians to create a message of hate around bc everyone knows someone who is gay/lesbian!
08:14 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Mark Hardwicke
A
Most drag traditionally has been more camp than art, although a lot has also been more about Trans self-expression. Really artistic drag is not that common, and you've produced a fine example
10:25 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
I personally grew out of the NYC night club scene during the rise of the "club kids" which I was one of as were Lady Bunny & RuPaul prefame & countless others who were the seeds of Ru's Dragrace even its producers from World of Wonder were amongst us in that scene so it was natural she would life it
10:37 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Mark Hardwicke
A
I was a twink in the Castro in the mid to late 70s. Did a little drag as a favor to a friend who was in the Empress' Court, but preferred the sweaty dance clubs. And of course worshiped Sylvester at the Trocadero.
10:41 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
I was only to the Castro once & long after your time there & I was dumbfounded at how small it was literally not more then a few blocks & at how much I personally seemed to stand out when I was there I found weird. Altho the Union Square area was so beautiful & clean I recall.. I rode a trolley too
10:45 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
The Empress's Court thing was not at all connected our scene, in fact, many of us detested it bc it was so superficial & not at all creative & let's face it the winners were never soft or pretty either.. The men who crowned Emperor were more feminine usually so.. And our world's never mixed at all..
10:43 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Mark Hardwicke
A
Agreed. It was kind of a dinosaur even back in my youth. A mentor of mine dressed me up and took me to a few functions, but he was disappointed that I didn't take to it
10:46 PM - Apr 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}