Mark Hardwicke
A
In response to Pierson Tyler-Leonard.
Agreed! Drag as art
08:06 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
In response to Mark Hardwicke.
Of course "drag" has been a recognized & celebrated artform since the times of Shakespeare in the 1500's & there has been some form or another for centuries before & since.. The far right no longer have Gay's & Lesbians to create a message of hate around bc everyone knows someone who is gay/lesbian!
08:14 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Mark Hardwicke
A
Most drag traditionally has been more camp than art, although a lot has also been more about Trans self-expression. Really artistic drag is not that common, and you've produced a fine example
10:25 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
I personally grew out of the NYC night club scene during the rise of the "club kids" which I was one of as were Lady Bunny & RuPaul prefame & countless others who were the seeds of Ru's Dragrace even its producers from World of Wonder were amongst us in that scene so it was natural she would life it
10:37 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
Rupaul & the producers used what they learned from the drag scene during the mid 80- early 90's & then realized thru the TV was just a natural extension to Ru's being the first drag queen on MTV & then accepted by the country the show was the evolution of her acceptance & influences on POP culture..
10:40 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Mark Hardwicke
A
RuPaul has been one of the most influential cultural figures so far this century, I think. Amazing how much influence he's had prying the country's eyes open to the Trans community
10:44 PM - Apr 05, 2023
Pierson Tyler-Leonard
A
Ru & I were once extremely close friends & she changed dramatically once "Covergirl" became a pop hit abandoning all of her former friends w/excuses etc. Her extreme wealth & success is on the backs of the community & she can & should do a lot more bc she can & has a platform on which to do it IMO..
10:50 PM - Apr 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}