Tim Smith
A
So for a little more context about what happened in Tennessee, I served a decade in the House of Reps up here in NH. I saw situations somewhat frequently where decorum was lost or House Rules were broken to varying degrees. -> thread
07:41 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Tim Smith
A
In response to Tim Smith.
The vast majority of the time, a simple verbal correction from the Speaker of the House was the only result. In a few rare occasions where somebody kept going, the Speaker simply got more stern and pounded the gavel until things settled. ->thread
07:42 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Tim Smith
A
The farthest it EVER got were some Reps who were formally reprimanded for refusing (not simply failing to get it done, but outright refusing) to follow a rule requiring them to attend a sexual harassment prevention training. ->thread
07:43 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Tim Smith
A
Those reprimands required a floor vote, and one of the Reps who went up and said he did the training but the paperwork got mixed up was not reprimanded, the stubborn refusers were. That ended the whole thing, and life moved on. At no point was anything beyond a reprimand considered. ->thread
07:45 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Tim Smith
A
Legislative chambers generally have three "levels" of formal disciplinary action available. Reprimand, Censure, and Expulsion. Even in the worst case I ever saw, where a Rep (google "Robert Fisher RedPill") was outed as having started an online hate site, the worst punishment ->thread
07:46 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Tim Smith
A
that was considered was a formal censure. I was ON the committee that held the hearings on that incident. At no point during my 10 years was expulsion ever considered for anyone, even for the most flagrant rule/decorum violations. What happened in Tennessee skipped over ->thread
07:48 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Tim Smith
A
the lower level disciplinary options and went right to the most extreme measure possible as their starting point. That they expelled the two young black Reps, but kept the middle aged white woman, tells you everything you need to know. An unprecedented, and openly racist, abuse of power. /end
07:49 AM - Apr 07, 2023
Dianna Repetti
A
Yes, thank you for this. Your experience and insight are helpful. It feels like a generational shift- with the older white men clinging to their suspect reasoning as the echos of protest outside the chamber are lifted by these courageous, articulate younger black men! Shame!
08:18 AM - Apr 07, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}