Brego
A
We are in a battle for knowledge, records, and true history vs. something they're trying to sell us. We must protect Archive.org, They want to control who hears what and when. Scary. We better stay woke. I'm not joking.

https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/internet_archive_library_case.php
12:05 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Brego.
The Internet Archive clearly violated fair use (I dealt with fair use in one of my library jobs for decades). Libraries will be fine. This ruling won't affect them. Also, during the pandemic, libraries continued to lend books, either with e-books or curbside service. There wasn't a gap to fill.
12:14 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Brego
A
Ah, yes. Glad to have an expert to point out what is so clear. But The Internet Archives did fill the gap - not only in w/access to books, but preserving the internet, giving access to media, & freedom to explore prior iterations of the web sans copyright holders/gatekeepers. Not all did curbside &
In response to Read aBannedBook.
12:30 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Brego.
The ruling won't affect books in the public domain, which is their strength. They should leave ebook lending of (still) copyrighted works to libraries or pay the publishers for licensing agreements. Public libraries have robust ebook lending services.
12:39 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Brego.
I'm just speaking in terms of how it affects libraries. They closed the emergency library, because it really was crazy wrong, but now are arguing for controlled digital lending, which is labor intensive and not something I think libraries will jump on.
12:35 PM - Apr 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}