Christopher Bouzy
A
Designers don't receive intellectual property rights for creating logos for a client. They receive a one-time payment, and that is it. So it's strange that a professional doesn't know this.
03:53 AM - Apr 10, 2023 (Edited)
✨? Alina ?✨
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
All I’m gonna say (I’m not a professional by any means I just do art for fun) is that this is basically a COMMISSION PIECE FOR A CLIENT. MEANING: You make the work, you get paid. If you don’t get paid and/or credited then that is just straight up stealing. In this case, @cbouzy is the CLIENT. Pt.1..
01:43 PM - Apr 10, 2023
✨? Alina ?✨
A
In response to ✨? Alina ?✨.
Pt. 2.. he is paying you and you’re getting CREDITED for your work. You may not have rights to it but that’s the point of a COMMISSION.
01:45 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Nonna
A
An amateur designer might expect/desire to maintain IP rights. But - of course - the client must own all rights to the logo to obtain trademark protection.
11:28 AM - Apr 10, 2023 (Edited)
GodSave TheUSA
A
The current logo looks fine, are you planning to change it?
09:25 AM - Apr 10, 2023
Mel Lehman
A
He said ASK. Yes: typical contract = once designer is paid $X, design belongs to client. But there’s nothing preventing a designer from ASKING a client - esp one expected to become a big brand - for additional fees based on brand performance. You don’t have to ACCEPT, but it could be their terms.
06:47 AM - Apr 10, 2023
Mynxie
A
In response to Mel Lehman.
How many designers are doing that? List them. We can wait.

Over two decades of experience in web development and I've never run across even one.
06:50 AM - Apr 10, 2023
Michael Sorenson
B
@cbouzy is correct. Standard contractor agreements usually include "Work for Hire" definitions and "Buy Out" stipulations that would short-circuit any asks in this regard. #ExitThroughTheGIFShop
06:29 AM - Apr 10, 2023
Giordana
A
Having had several logos developed for me, I can confirm this is correct. One time payment and all rights are to the client.
04:52 AM - Apr 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}