Robyn Stewart
A
It should be that if an elected official switches parties mid-term, that they forfeit their seat and a special election is held.

Voters are being denied the representation that they voted for.
01:49 PM - Apr 11, 2023
Malba Miranda
A
In response to Robyn Stewart.
Agreed!!
11:00 AM - Jul 14, 2023
TheLadyRed
A
💯💯💯‼️
10:46 AM - Jul 14, 2023
Susan Sampson
A
Yes! I called my State rep and asked about introducing some type of legislation to prevent this switching of parties in the middle (or right after) being elected. It is cheating the voter out of their vote.
03:18 PM - Apr 13, 2023
MF Smith
A
completely agree. And they should have a forensic accountant review of their finances. They are being paid to do this.
03:12 PM - Apr 13, 2023
Robyn Stewart
A
In response to MF Smith.
They’re voting history, community activism…all of that needs to be checked by local party chairs/orgs.
09:30 AM - Apr 17, 2023
Tim B
A
I do have some mixed feelings on this, because in theory voters vote for an individual - not a party.

But for most people the party is the most important thing.

Maybe the solution would be to offer a recall petition. If more than X% of voters sign that you then run a new election.
06:32 AM - Apr 12, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
There are valid reasons to switch parties-like a party doing something immoral/criminal. I wish more Republicans switched parties.

But the point about not getting what you voted for is valid. I'd support a special election so voters could decide whether to keep them under their new affiliation.
02:31 AM - Apr 12, 2023
Retropian
B
Yes. Further they need to run in a primary against other R’s. They can’t just float in as the GOP’s defacto nominee in the special election.
04:51 PM - Apr 11, 2023
Lorrie Hoffman
A
It's misrepresentation. Voters thought they voted for the party/candidate to represent them and then the representative switches parties, I call it fraudulent. There needs to be consequences.
04:39 PM - Apr 11, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Lorrie Hoffman.
This I do not agree with.

As I said, there are legitimate reasons to switch parties. The right to dissent is important. Perhaps it would be more honourable for a candidate to resign rather than switch parties, but effectively criminalizing it as fraud would be excessive, even authoritarian.
02:35 AM - Apr 12, 2023
Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
As dirty tricks go, this is some FILTHY business.
04:35 PM - Apr 11, 2023
TwentyTwentyUSA
A
Forget the special election... They should not be allowed to run until the next election cycle... Give
voters time to get the word out on the imposters...

#SpoutibleVotesBlue
02:00 PM - Apr 11, 2023
Robyn Stewart
A
In response to TwentyTwentyUSA.
Ppl need to be represented by their choice. Ousting alone leaves them even more vulnerable. I’d be okay with them also being unable to use party funds/title for a period of time - years even.
02:06 PM - Apr 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}