Jared Yates Sexton
A
What Fox News did was take a very simple risk.

They calculated that their $14 billion a year profits would be endangered if they didn't lie about the 2020 Election and the consequence would be considerably less.

As long as our economic incentives work this way democracy doesn't stand a chance.
09:19 AM - Apr 19, 2023
Brendan Barry
A
In response to Jared Yates Sexton.
This is today's business model for corporate crooks. Bank of America and Wells Fargo use the same tactic. They steal billions, pay millions in fines and nobody goes to jail. Americans still give these crooks money. Lazy? Selfish? Just plain stupid?
06:47 AM - Dec 11, 2023
💜 Callie 💜
A
Remember the Pinto Memo? (Grisham v. Ford Motor Co.) Ford ran a cost-benefit analysis and found it would be cheaper to pay off the possible lawsuits of victims than to spend money to correct design flaws.

Wealthy corporations are allowed to gamble w/ public safety, placing profits above lives.
11:30 AM - Apr 20, 2023
Marshall Julie
A
$14B is revenue, not profit
12:04 AM - Apr 20, 2023
AnDMusic
A
I see $14B I'm revenue, not profits.. Is there a source for that? I saw a lot of people spouting the $4B in Q4 profits too but their EBITA was like 250M
06:50 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Eleanor
A
I remember when news was not expected to make a network a profit. Not sure how we get back to that but something needs to change.
06:49 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Ericlo
A
#The1619Project
CAPITALISM Matthew Desmond
"Many of the political systems, legal arrangements, cultural beliefs, and economic structures that uphold and promote this level of inequality trace their roots back to slavery and its aftermath. If today America promotes a particular kind of low-road"
05:02 PM - Apr 19, 2023
Serendipity
A
We need the regulatory and legal systems to step it up.
04:22 PM - Apr 19, 2023
LH Grant
A
So do away with the entire civil litigation system? Or make all private companies operate in America for the entirety of the public good and not for profit? In the event of an adverse judgment or appeal, were the taxpayers going to make Dominion and empl'ees whole, create a new voting machine co?
03:59 PM - Apr 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}