iyawo_negeeb
A
Watching "Immigration Nation" on #Netflix and I will never understand why 1st, 2nd and or 3rd generation immigrants continue to vote for republicans. The party's only goal is cruelty.
11:06 PM - Apr 21, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
Americans are romantic people who love their own mythology over historical truth. The Melting Pot is an enduring myth. It actually works by erasure. Immigrants erase their class history and status for cultural acceptance. If Italian Americans knew their history in the US they'd be Dems. #gifted
In response to iyawo_negeeb.
12:34 PM - Apr 22, 2023
Patricia
A
In response to stephanie roberts.
All 4 grandparents came here from Calabria (southern Italy). I was still being called a dago and wop in 1974. I will never understand how Italian-Americans are anything BUT Democratic! I’m embarrassed for and infuriated by those who continue to carry on our traditions while ignoring their history.
01:03 PM - Apr 28, 2023
Emmanuel Asomba
A
I remember this article way back. Thank you for sharing it. It’s definitely a piece to read, and read and read 👏🏽
12:35 PM - Apr 28, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
In response to Emmanuel Asomba.
You're welcome. Melania Mazzucco's Vita was eye-opening. Her family was part of the Italians who returned to Italy because of the oppression. Italian/Americans today talk about "good" immigrants and coming in the "right" way meanwhile Italians were bombing Wall Street back in the day.
12:45 PM - Apr 28, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
Italian on mom's side, grandma born outside Bari on the Adriatic. Weird thing is the most recent of us bury it deepest. My family got here around the time of the Sacco and Vanzetti trial and tried to erase harder
10:41 PM - Apr 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}