yO_Ocean
A
tw: death by suicide
Hello Kind Spouters, Anyone willing to share some approachable resources for coping with a friend's death by suicide. The online search options are overwhelming so maybe you have something helpful to pass along to my friend. He leans Buddhist & is not in the therapy world
03:30 PM - May 02, 2023
Geoff Vasile
A
In response to yO_Ocean.
Are they connected to any type of peer support group? This can look like a Sangha or something else spiritually aligned. Grief processing is hard, complex, and can be challenging. Not everyone jibes with therapy and that’s ok, but having mutual (and helpful) support/connection is crucial.
03:36 PM - May 02, 2023
yO_Ocean
A
In response to Geoff Vasile.
Thank you for you thoughtful response.
Yes, thankfully he has an excellent support system & good coping skills. My friend is in his 70's & this isn't the first death by suicide he has (we have) dealt with, sadly. It was a younger work friend & he spent time w/ him last Friday. so heartbreaking
04:52 PM - May 02, 2023
Geoff Vasile
A
Grief is complex & there may be isolating factors like stigma of suicide along w/our cultural neglect of seniors. “Disenfranchised grief” might be helpful to learn abt. We think we can compartmentalize grief but it shows up everywhere. Helping ppl recognize, legitimize, & sit w/it can be powerful
In response to yO_Ocean.
09:42 PM - May 03, 2023
yO_Ocean
A
In response to Geoff Vasile.
Thank you so much. Your insight and kindness are deeply appreciated. 🙏
Disenfranchised grief is a term i haven’t heard of but when i looked in to it, really hits home. Especially thinking of losing 4 legged family members.
my friend lost a younger co-worker that he only saw occasionally but loved
11:13 PM - May 03, 2023
Geoff Vasile
A
In response to yO_Ocean.
It’s a broad term that really encapsulates how much of death, dying, and grief are stigmatized in our culture. Any sort of grief that expression of can expose you to isolation, in my mind, is disenfranchised grief. All the best to you and your friend!
11:41 PM - May 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}