Neal Lewis
A
On this eve of Hogwarts Legacy's launch, I find I have no desire to play a game that was built from a place of hate, discrimination and dehumanization.

The Trans community have been loud and clear about what buying this game means in terms of support for their existence. I'm following their lead.
10:26 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Phoenician
A
In response to Neal Lewis.
I respectfully disagree. There are hills I’m willing to die on, but this is not one of them. To boycott a game because the owner of the IP has an opinion you disagree with, on a subject near and dear to you, and who is willing to spend her own money to support, is wrong, IMHO. Don’t you do the same?
10:38 PM - Feb 09, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
In response to Phoenician.
This isn't just about JK Rowling's "opinions". It's about her tacit approval and support of groups and politicians who are actively pushing policy and rhetoric that are endangering the lives of already marginalized people.

This is about more than a video game and definitely more than an "opinion"
12:36 PM - Feb 10, 2023
Phoenician
A
You still haven’t explained what she’s doing wrong. Is she not entitled to have her own opinions, even if you disagree with them? Is she not entitled to spend her money as she pleases? Individuals are attacking marginalized peoples all over the world - why are you so upset about Rowling?
01:27 PM - Feb 10, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
I suggest you read this article. It sums up my reasoning in better words than I can manage - https://www.gamespot.com/articles/jk-rowlings-anti-transgender-stance-and-hogwarts-legacy/1100-65016...
03:16 PM - Feb 10, 2023
Phoenician
A
Just curious, what other people and organizations do you boycot? Are you going to ignore the Super Bowl, because of the KC Chiefs’ insulting appropriation of Native American names and icons? How about celebs with affairs, which ones do you no longer watch their movies and shows?
04:58 PM - Feb 10, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
It's a very long list. None of these organizations, people or productions are missing what little money I choose not to give them. Instead choose to give my money to entities that offer the same services without the harm to marginalized groups. It's not as onerous as it's believed it to be.
07:09 PM - Feb 10, 2023
Phoenician
A
I admire the courage of your convictions. But you still haven’t given any reason why anyone should support you. She hasn’t done anything “wrong”. I don’t agree with her point-of-view, either. But we can’t pillage someone just because we disagree with them.
07:50 PM - Feb 10, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
If you don't think she did anything wrong, you either didn't read the article I shared in this thread or you did and your takeaway from it is very unhinged.

Me and others boycotting her IP is not "pillaging" her. It's the free market at work. She is not owed my or anyone else's support.
11:55 AM - Feb 11, 2023
Phoenician
A
I read the first part, but did not finish the whole thing.

Where I’m from, I saw an unpopular politician manage to get elected to high office. He was hounded, both from that office and eventually his way of making a living. He lost everything because of people with very similar agendas to yours.
12:05 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Phoenician
A
I disagreed with him politically, as I do with Ms. Rowling in some respects. But people like you hope to ruin her, simply because she has the money to out-shout you. And that’s not right.

Because I saw it happen before, I stand against it now.
12:13 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
What little money I choose not to spend on Rowlings IP will not ruin her. She's a billionaire. She'll never be truly ruined by any of this.

I'm much too far to the left ideologically to have any sympathy for a billionaire who brought all of this on herself with stupid, thoughtless, hurtful words
02:53 PM - Feb 11, 2023
Phoenician
A
I have the freedom to be stupid, thoughtless, and hurtful. It’s not the way I would choose to live, but I could. I have that freedom, that right.

So do you. So does she.
03:10 PM - Feb 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}