Aamir Hussain
A
thread 1/12
So I got called a 'right wing chaos agent' here and, while that's a step up from being accused of being a 'Russian bot' over on twitter I suppose (thanks to Bot Sentinel making that much harder), I figured I'd test out spoutible threads by talking about that a bit. #Democrat #Republican #notabot
01:54 PM - May 04, 2023
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 2/12
So first off it's an ad hominem attack, of course. It’s not engaging with anything I’m actually saying but instead, imagining, and then attacking, my character.
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 3/12
Now that isn’t always a bad thing. In fact, detecting and refusing to engage with bad faith trolls is the exact correct thing to do online. It’s necessary to not waste time and frankly needed for preserving mental health online. But for what sin was I accused of being such a person?
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 4/12
Merely for criticizing some Democrats.

Now the first thing obvious thing here is that feeling like anyone is above criticism is not a healthy space to be in, and extending that cover to hundreds of politicians is much worse.
01:55 PM - May 04, 2023
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 5/12
At best not being critiqued invites complacency, at worst it covers for truly malicious behaviour, and in the middle, it means there is no accountability for incompetence. It is a recipe for the slow degradation of any organization.
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 6/12
There cannot be any improvement without first identifying and discussing problems. Which is exactly what criticism is, and exactly what is being blocked by the conviction that Democrats should not be criticized.
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 7/12
Do I believe Republicans and Democrats are the same? No. Do I KNOW that both parties tolerate corruption within their ranks? Yes. We need to be able to point out the latter without being accused of the former. I have asked how I can do that when accused of being a troll and there’s no guidance.
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 8/12
We need to understand that not only is there such a thing as good faith critique, but that it is NECESSARY for doing the one thing we desperately need Democrats to do. Which is stave off Republicans.
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 9/12
Is there a good plan to work around a hostile media owned by megacorps? For countering decades of Republican voter suppression?
01:56 PM - May 04, 2023
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 10/12
A talking point to counter the admin not being able to bring Manchin and Sinema inline? To counter US oil production going up? To counter American lives getting harder? To counter losing influence with OPEC? Counter bank failures? Counter the corrupt SCOTUS? Voter suppression?
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 11/12
If not then how do we get these necessary things? By DEMANDING them. Can all of these things be done in a snap? Of course not, but work should have started on all these months ago, and if they haven’t then how would pressure from below have helped?
01:56 PM - May 04, 2023 (Edited)
Aamir Hussain
A
thread 12/12
Squeaky wheels always get more attention and Democrat partisans need to understand the blanket of protection they provide by instead demanding no criticism can only make things worse. If Democrats aren’t doing well, then attention needs to be focused on Democratic leadership, rather than on voters.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}