A
Silvopasture 💪👏👌❤️
I’ve found it easy and productive in California

https://aeon.co/essays/her...
12:20 AM - Mar 31, 2023
sanfranciscohio
A
In response to Johanna.
I proposed silvopasture for a ranch I’m helping last spring. Was wondering if you might be able to share more about your success? Thank you for sharing this. It’s a nice resource to share with producers!
11:30 AM - May 02, 2023
Johanna
A
In response to sanfranciscohio.
Sure
What would you like to know?
09:29 AM - May 03, 2023
sanfranciscohio
A
In response to Johanna.
Where have you had success? Failures? Info on species selection, establishment, BMPs etc. I don’t know if we can talk offline, but I’d love to! Either way, thanks for putting this out there. More awareness always helps.
10:02 AM - May 03, 2023
Johanna
A
Gosh enough for a book there.

But basically I’ve designed a multilayer, nature-mimicking, highly native system using permaculture & holistic managed grazing (Allan Savory) regenerative ag systems, that provides food, forage, wildlife support, & soil building, while increasing C, N, & H2O storage!
03:57 PM - May 03, 2023
Johanna
A
In response to Johanna.
Some Successes: longer green season for pasture, healthier animals w/minimal inputs required (never grain, & no deworming needed), measureable increases in soil C, don’t need to buy much food, Full Circle system with 0 waste, healthy trees, more shade, each element of the system supports the others.
04:16 PM - May 03, 2023
Johanna
A
In response to Johanna.
One of the obvious advantages is fighting climate change & increasing production in every way (soil fertility, food, forage, trees, plants, wildlife) while *aligning w/nature* instead of the usual destruction that happens with industrial Ag &conventional grazing. No chemicals needed, &zero waste.👌
04:35 PM - May 03, 2023
sanfranciscohio
A
In response to Johanna.
Thanks! I’m familiar with the benefits and Allan. Just looking for real world examples. Especially for us on the California coast.
09:38 PM - May 03, 2023
Johanna
A
Just to be clear, they are OUR successes. We measure soil Carbon, fecal egg counts, and the health parameters of our sheep.
Add’l: Hay from same place, browse for the dry season is huge. photos show browsing shrubs, pomegranate & sage understory-we planted for us, soils, wildlife and the sheep.
06:37 PM - May 04, 2023
sanfranciscohio
A
Oh wow I am dense I missed that entirely. Wonderful to see the work!
In response to Johanna.
09:42 PM - May 04, 2023
Johanna
A
Thanks🙏
Extended green season, 1 of the big benefits of silvopasture, for us, is shown in these May/June photos (I scribbled out houses for their privacy).
The only differences b/w our field & our neighbors’: we have planned grazing & trees esp native Oaks. They have mowing w/machinery & no trees.
03:04 PM - May 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}