stephanie roberts
A
thread 1/7
There's a post floating around about how the first sign to watch for in fascism is a mythologized past. Opposting the "American Dream" this loss is the American nightmare. Jordan Neely was Black ✊🏾 but more unfortunately he was unhoused and mentally ill and Americans hate poverty. He embodied
Linda Eisenstein @LindaEisenstein
So many white people in the US have become acclimatized to public violence against black people that they no longer recognize a lynching. How could no one on that train try to stop this? I'm shook. #JordanNeely
10:33 AM - May 06, 2023
11:29 AM - May 06, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
thread 2/7
Mr. Neely hit the trifecta of the American Nightmare. What other G7 nation might it be possible for your mother to be strangled to death when you were a teenager and then you yourself suffer the same fate?
#mythology #theAmericanDream
11:34 AM - May 06, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
thread 3/7
A lack of universal healthcare a lack of affordable housing, authoritarian policing, and systemic racism is my answer to how could this happen. I am super disappointed that no one intervened but I started riding the NYC subway from East New York into the city when I was 11, I am not surprised.
11:47 AM - May 06, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
thread 4/7
I left NY before "see something say something" but one of the rules for survival that I learned in such a densely populated space is mind your own business. When the Subway Strangler Daniel Penny leaped into action and with his military training subdued an innocent citizen, did other people think...
11:53 AM - May 06, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
thread 5/7
"He looks like he know what he's doing. I am just going to mind my business." Did they assume he was some sort of authority (and now it looks like there IS a police connection)? We are used to seeing Black men treated roughly and seen as a "threat" just for existing. The mentally ill
11:57 AM - May 06, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
thread 6/7
are being made the scapegoats for the fact that our legislatures on the state and local levels have failed us in providing healthcare and housing for the most vulnerable in our society. We look at Jordan Neely in his psychosis and we despise him for being poor and ill. We see ourselves as above him.
12:00 PM - May 06, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
thread 7/7
and worse and fatally, we see him and so many like him as somebody else's responsibility. RIP brother. I failed you. #JusticeForJordanNeely #JordanNeely
12:02 PM - May 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}