Blue Sky Dweller
A
thread 1/6
I'm a mindfulness practitioner and teacher. Mindfulness is sorely misunderstood today and quite polarizing, mainly because a dearth of correct information that led to inexact public perception. For those curious but weary, these are some popular myths / misunderstandings that I want to dispel.
08:19 AM - May 07, 2023
Blue Sky Dweller
A
thread 2/6
"Mindfulness is spiritual / Buddhist and I'm [another religion"

Mindfulness is inherently religion-agnostic. It is a set of exercises for the mind, like learning to solve equations. There's no religion in it. You can be [your religion] and practice mindfulness with full peace of soul.
08:22 AM - May 07, 2023
Blue Sky Dweller
A
thread 3/6
"I tried but I can't quiet my mind"

Good luck with that, if you wish it, but that's (a) not mindfulness and (b) impossible, since our brains are wired to secrete thoughts just like the stomach will secrete gastric juices.
08:23 AM - May 07, 2023
Blue Sky Dweller
A
thread 4/6
"I'm afraid I'll become numb"

Eastern practices generate states of mind we, westerners, do not know and do not have the proper words for them. Emotional stability is *not* numb; it is a quiet, alert calm where the fog of negative emotions is thinner and judgement less clouded.
08:26 AM - May 07, 2023
Blue Sky Dweller
A
thread 5/6
"But what *is* mindfulness?"

A set of exercises for attention management. Just like in a gym, repeatedly and calmly re-focusing on something of your choice (breath usually, but not obligatorily) strengthens attention and calms the mind (the amygdala, first and foremost).
08:28 AM - May 07, 2023
Blue Sky Dweller
A
thread 6/6
I'll add more later, but in case you're curious for more, ask here or in DMs. I promise to answer, if not with info, at least with scientific sources.
08:29 AM - May 07, 2023
Whoa!
A
In response to Blue Sky Dweller.
I'm a psych nurse and spend a lot of time teaching my patients breathing exercises and other mindfulness techniques to center themselves.
10:12 AM - May 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}