H2O Radio
A
A newly developed sponge can pull #lead and other toxic metals out of #water > https://bit.ly/3CzL6tn
09:06 PM - May 14, 2023
David James
A
In response to H2O Radio.
OK, so I see a solution to one problem that creates another one, a little bit like all these electric cars with their lithium batteries. When you have millions of sponges full of toxic crap, where are you going to get rid of them?
10:36 PM - May 14, 2023
H2O Radio
A
In response to David James.
The sponges are rinsed to be used again and the metals are recovered for use in batteries.
08:35 AM - May 15, 2023
David James
A
OK, I may be wrong, but surely even rinsing them means there are certain toxic chemicals aside from those used to make batteries that need to be disposed of?
08:41 AM - May 15, 2023
H2O Radio
A
Good questions and better put to the researchers at Northwestern University. We appreciate your thoughtful feedback! https://news.northwestern....
08:56 AM - May 15, 2023
David James
A
Not trying to pick a good idea or a part but just trying to understand where everything goes in the end. Electric cars are great until we have to recycle all these lithium batteries, just makes me wonder why we didn’t go straight for the hydrogen powered vehicle.
08:57 AM - May 15, 2023
H2O Radio
A
Hydrogen is not without its problems too—especially if it's produced with fossil energy. Also, need to consider the infrastructure build out required. EVs can put power back in the grid for example and potentially help with the duck curve storage issues.
09:30 AM - May 15, 2023
David James
A
Agreed, but the resultant emission from Hydrogen power is a LOT cleaner in the long run.
10:09 AM - May 15, 2023
H2O Radio
A
Yes! It's H2O—our favorite. :)
Again, every solution needs to weigh consequences—something that didn't happen when we went all in on fossil fuels.
Thanks for the conversation! Have a great day!
10:29 AM - May 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}