Muriel Vieux
A
thread 1/12
#ThreadChallenge

White America claims to be outraged in the moment, they claim that they are being oppressed and replaced... As with so many things white America fails to recognize its own feelings and the reasons behind them.
09:45 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 2/12
#ThreadChallenge
White America is not outraged, it is scared. All around them minorities are rising and sharing spaces with them and white America is not used to sharing. It is used to going into a doll store and seeing 99% white dolls.
09:48 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 3/12
#ThreadChallenge

It is used to seeing its movie heroes be white, the white savior complex is the core of 90% of American philosophy, politics and culture. To see others rise and challenge the narrative is upsetting their psyche,
09:51 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 4/12
#ThreadChallenge .

For if they are not the saviors... then who are they? what is their purpose?
The only wrongs white America is willing to right, are the ones that puts them in a favorable light, that shows them as the heroes of the story
09:52 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 5/12
#ThreadChallenge

And that is why they can not delve into the past, they can not be real allies in the fight against discrimination, racism and bigotry because in that story they are the bad guys and that's a role they refuse to accept.
09:53 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 6/12
#ThreadChallenge

White America is one of the only countries if not the only one that refuses to accept blame for its past wrongdoings, they will invent any excuses to avoid admitting their actions were not so... white... so pure
09:55 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 7/12
#ThreadChallenge

I do not know how we will change this mentality in White America, because even our white allies are quick to distance themselves from racism and bigotry by claiming "not all white people" "not me" "I'm different"...
Are they though?
09:58 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 8/12
#ThreadChallenge

They are not, of course not, they might be a little more aware, a little more open-minded, but they are still resisting and fighting against being labeled part of the whole... thus refusing to recognize they are part of the very system of racism.
10:00 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 9/12
#ThreadChallenge

They will often proudly "show their badges of merit" petitions, photos in marches etc...
But how many of them ever put their job at risk to stand against racism? How many have risked their comforts for the truth and their allyship?
Not many.
10:02 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 10/12
#ThreadChallenge

For you see most allies consciously or unconsciously view their allyship as "help" or worse as a "pet project" a hobby to indulge in when they have the time.
10:04 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 11/12
#ThreadChallenge - the end

And with each passing day our allies defect... at the slightest criticism, the gentlest pushback, because deep down.. they too are outraged by our demands... They too are scared... very scared of losing their comforts.
10:06 AM - May 16, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
thread 12/12
Hello when are the #ThreadChallenge results going to be announced?
12:29 PM - Jun 01, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
In response to Muriel Vieux.
Muriel,

I'm not American, but I'm clearly white so I don't know if you want feedback.

If you did, I'd say this is challenging, well written, and - as far as I know - very true.
05:31 AM - Jun 08, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
In response to Gabe McGrath.
The only point I'd raise is with this line: "White America is one of the only countries if not the only one that refuses to accept blame for its past wrongdoings."

I'm in Australia, and believe me, we are 'sadly in the same club'.

This recent article would explain much better than I could.
05:34 AM - Jun 08, 2023
Muriel Vieux
A
In response to Gabe McGrath.
Hello Gabe,

Yes I am the one that wrote it lol, it's what I do write my thoughts and feelings about things.

I've never been to Australia I know it's filled with scary huge bugs and wildlife, my kid would love it lol I call him the animal whisperer, never met one he didn't like.
11:48 PM - Jun 08, 2023
Puckarama
A
In response to Muriel Vieux.
Powerful and thought-provoking, Ms. Muriel.
10:17 AM - May 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}