SouthwestVA Guy
A
thread 1/5
I had a routine medical checkup today. My provider is a small operation. One doctor, one NP. When I sat down to get my blood drawn, the nurse/office manager/receptionist, walked in visibly upset, in a frustration cry. She was telling the doc that she was overwhelmed trying to cover EVERYTHING.
09:11 PM - May 17, 2023
SouthwestVA Guy
A
thread 2/5
She was asked if she needed some time (to recover herself) and she said she didn't have time. So, she started working on drawing my blood. She quietly apologized to me. I told her that there was no need, that we all have those points we reach. She shared that she was working 50 hours/week
09:13 PM - May 17, 2023
SouthwestVA Guy
A
thread 3/5
without being paid OT. They have been short 3 staff members for months, with no candidates due to low pay and zero benefits. She mentioned she had a recent offer, but she is being guilt tripped into sticking around. My only feedback was "You have to take care of you".
09:16 PM - May 17, 2023
SouthwestVA Guy
A
thread 4/5
I assumed I was just a convenient sounding board when she just needed to get it out, and my advice wasn't necessary otherwise. Was it unprofessional? Probably. Do I care in this case? Not at all. I just hope being an ear for her was enough to help her navigate the rest of her stressful day.
09:18 PM - May 17, 2023
SouthwestVA Guy
A
thread 5/5
It was a reminder to me that I must always be vigilant in creating the best possible work environment for my direct reports.
09:19 PM - May 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}