#caste discussion begins 5/22/23

I will spout at least 3 talking points for 2 days

Reply to my spouts, quote spout, or do your own spouts, including threading

Important: include hashtags #caste and #SBBC
04:40 PM - May 18, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 2/6
If you thread, include hashtags in the first spout; otherwise, they may not work :(

Hashtag if you have room: #SpoutibleBannedBookClub

Please comment on, like, and echo other people’s spouts
04:41 PM - May 18, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 3/6
I will echo all the Caste discussion spouts I find and will only do book club spouts May 22nd/23rd to provide a place to read all spouts together

While I will provide talking points May 22nd/23rd, feel free to discuss afterwards such as if you weren’t able to finish the book or were otherwise busy
04:41 PM - May 18, 2023 (Edited)
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 4/6
Feel free to discuss using your own talking points. Mine are optional.
06:59 PM - May 18, 2023 (Edited)
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 5/6
Also, I will use the hashtag #CasteTalkingPoint when I spout a talking point for the discussion on the 22nd and 23rd.
07:21 PM - May 19, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 6/6
FYI, the edition I bought has 25 suggested discussion questions. Feel free to use any of those for your discussion spouts. I'm going to use # 25 for one of the talking points.
06:08 PM - May 21, 2023 (Edited)
Peter Fraser
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
In this youTube recording, Krista Tippett asks the question at the 49:55 mark and Isabel Wilkerson responds to the question starting at the 50:42 mark. And it's "dominating" and "subordinated" caste terms not "subjugated" - I was wrong about that, sorry! #caste #SBBC
12:03 AM - May 19, 2023
Peter Fraser
A
Okay, here is the podcast I was talking about earlier from Feb. 15, 2023 at Seattle's Benaroya Hall #caste #SBBC
Isabel Wilkerson — "We all know in our bones that things are harder than they have to be." - YouTube

In this rich, expansive, and warm conversation between friends, Krista draws out the heart for humanity behind Isabel Wilkerson’s eye on histories we are onl...

12:00 AM - May 19, 2023 (Edited)
Lightly Salted
A
In response to Peter Fraser.
Thank you for sharing this!
10:02 PM - May 22, 2023
Peter Fraser
A
Such a great book! I got to hear Isabel Wilkerson speak in Seattle this year and she provided an update to the terms "Dominant" and "Subjugate" caste and instead said to use "Dominating" and "Subjugated" caste. I have a link to her talk, but it's on another computer - I'll post it later today #caste
05:01 PM - May 18, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}