Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 1/17
#ThreadChallenge

There is a right way and a wrong way to do most everything. Well, perhaps multiple right ways & multiple wrong ways. But, I seem to almost always learn from doing things the wrong way, sometimes multiple times. I try. But, just in case this can help even just one person out there,
09:01 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 2/17
#ThreadChallenge

I’m going to share one of the wrong ways to get the fleas off a cat.

I once had a sweet cat named Sebastian. Big cat. He was a long-haired black & white w/the typical batman mask & was 20 pounds of pure muscle, that’s about 9 kilos for everyone who measures things the right way.
09:02 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 3/17
#ThreadChallenge

He could be a very sweet & lovable boy. He loved splaying all over my lap by day & trying to smother me by night laying across my chest. It is really hard to breathe with a 20 lb/9kg cat on your chest. But, sadly, he wasn’t the brightest bulb on the porch. There was the time he ran
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 4/17
#ThreadChallenge

across the room full-tilt & hit the broadside of the aquarium square with his head, which knocked him backwards about a foot, right on his butt. He shook himself off, walked back across the room & . . . proceeded to do it again. Yep, head first into the side of the aquarium &
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 5/17
#ThreadChallenge

knocked right back on his butt. But, to be fair, some of his owner may have rubbed off on him as you will see.

Anyway, one hot summer day, I discovered a few fleas on him & wanted to get rid of them quickly & didn’t want 2mess with flea powders or anything like that & didn’t want
09:03 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 6/17
#ThreadChallenge

to go to the store. So, pay close attention here, because this is where I made my first mistake & things started going off the rails.

I took the cat into the bathroom & closed the door. So far, so good. Then, I sat cross-legged next to the toilet with said cat in my lap.
09:03 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 7/17
#ThreadChallenge

All good, no problem yet. I had him spread belly up in my lap & he gave me a look. He was reminding me he didn’t really care 4this position. This was my first warning. Unfortunately, it went unheeded. I started scouring through his belly fur & pulling off any fleas found & throwing
09:04 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 8/17
#ThreadChallenge

them in the toilet. 1, 2, 3, 4 . . . then a soft,deep growl was emitted from the cat. My second mistake? I didn’t pay that any attention. I was so focused on finding & eradicating those dang fleas before they infested the whole house, I ignored his warning. He glared,eyes narrowed.
09:05 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 9/17
#ThreadChallenge

I continued searching & removing as many fleas as I could. Soon, another, deeper, more menacing, longer growl emerged from that sweet boy in my lap. And, then I made my third & fatal mistake. I kept going. Looking for more fleas.

All of the sudden, BAM!
09:05 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 10/17
#ThreadChallenge

He lashed out with his very, very, long, very, very, very sharp claws & caught me in the eye. Blood everywhere. Mine, not his. He’s desperately trying to pull his paw back & I’m desperately trying to keep him from pulling his paw back, because at that point, I was afraid
09:06 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 11/17
#ThreadChallenge

my eye would be with it. Turns out one of his claws was stuck in my eyelid, not my eyeball. But, at that point, what did I know? I knew his claw was stuck & he wanted it back. There was blood everywhere & I couldn’t tell how much damage had been done. Then, there may or may not
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 12/17
#ThreadChallenge

have been a little pain involved. Mine, not his. I just p*ssed him off royally.

So, there I am with this big cat in my lap, trying to keep him there & from trying to run away while I tried to extricate his claw from my eye & he was also trying with all 20 lbs/9 kgs of pure
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 13/17
#ThreadChallenge

muscle to take his claw back by any means necessary & to get out of my lap. I believe that was the moment he grew 4 extra appendages with 20 claws & daggers at the end of each one.

At that point, he was so mad at me, he did not care what happened to my eye, he just wanted
09:07 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 14/17
#ThreadChallenge

his paw back & for me to get the heck away from him. Or him to get away from me.

Finally, I managed to get his claw out & released him. I stood up afraid to look in the mirror because I was afraid I was down an eye. Turns out the eye was fine.
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 15/17
#ThreadChallenge

But it is truly, truly astonishing how much an assaulted eyelid can bleed.

In the end, it was all good. No eye was lost. And, despite all the blood lost, no real damage was done to my eyelid. And, I had learned a valuable lesson from this experience.
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 16/17
#ThreadChallenge

I had learned at least one of the incorrect ways to remove fleas from a cat. And, I learned that if that boy ever gave me another warning like that to . . . PAY TF ATTENTION!

However, never underestimate my ability to sometimes have to learn hard lessons a few different ways.
09:08 PM - May 20, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
thread 17/17
#ThreadChallenge

Note: no animal was harmed in this story...except perhaps his dignity. Sadly,I lost him sev yrs later 2kidney disease. He didn’t like me trying 2admin his fluids at the end either, but that’s another story. One I decided 2leave 2the thrice weekly visits 2the vet. Miss you, big guy!
09:08 PM - May 20, 2023
Sue Paz
A
In response to Sideeye Slant 🎨.
What a story. I'm impressed.

Tears in my eye because you have to miss this wonderful friend who taught you an important lesson. Rest in sweet power, Sebastian.

(Yesterday I saw a video of Maru, the Japanese cat, who got his toenails clipped. Such a contrast with your story.)
08:15 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Ramsey, Queen of Popcorn®
A
Phenomenal story!

Glad you and the kitty were okay.

I'm also sorry for your loss.
10:00 PM - Jun 01, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
In response to Ramsey, Queen of Popcorn®.
Thanks! I was really scared to look in the mirror. With all the blood that was dripping, I was expecting the absolute worst. *Now* it's a funny story 2look back on. At the time I was shaking. From struggling w/keeping him from ripping my eye & he was *strong*! And,from fear! I had weak knees! 🤣🤣🤣
02:29 AM - Jun 02, 2023
Sunonymous
A
I agree! I learn from every failure, but only wiser if I apply what I’ve learned!
02:49 PM - May 29, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}