⚛️Shawn Athan
A
thread 1/2
This whole student loan mess... its the one thing I agree with the Republicans on. You got the education. Pay for it. That's what you agreed to when you asked for the loan in the first place. This is the worst hill for the Democrats to die on.
12:10 PM - May 25, 2023 (Edited)
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
thread 2/2
Free public college is what we should be pushing for for future generations. Next you all will be asking for your mortgages to be relieved. Like... no.
12:12 PM - May 25, 2023
John Fegenbush
B
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Student loans should be refinanced at 0% & all fees & interest already paid be deducted from the balance. If banksters and oligarchs can borrow from the government at 0% then so should students. Student loan debt is an albatross around young people's necks preventing them from buying houses etc...
12:55 PM - May 25, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to John Fegenbush.
Again... they signed the dotted line. Refinancing is not forgiving. They still owe the money. No amount of word salad is going to change that.
01:05 PM - May 25, 2023
Tawanda J
A
I’ll tell you how predatory these loans are/were. I finished college in 1998. I took students loans for all 4 years. It was around &25k. I’ve paid over the years. A few forbearance periods due to layoffs. The longest being during the Great Recession . My balance is now $98k. Tell me how anyone could
12:54 PM - May 25, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to Tawanda J.
I don't care. YOU agreed to that.
01:08 PM - May 25, 2023
Howard Schmidt
A
In response to Tawanda J.
Hi Tawanda. How can a loan INCREASE 4x? Even interest only payments would leave just the original principal. Did you stop paying and get additional interest and penalties?
01:35 PM - May 25, 2023
♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell
A
With respect, it's loan sharking. Even if one applies for bankruptcy, one still has to pay their student loan. Some student loans are more than mortgages. It impacts students who come from underserved communities who are often BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, disabled, working class, women, living in poverty..
12:16 PM - May 25, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to ♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell.
First of all... those are laws that can be changed regarding bankruptcy and student loans. You don't just forgive people's loans just because. I also don't care who it effects because they signed the dotted line. A loan is a loan. You can't give back your education.
12:17 PM - May 25, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to ♿ ♀️ Laura Durnell.
Second of all... the second spout in the thread... says we should be pushing for free public college for future generations. That would help those "undeserved" communities.
https://spoutible.com/thre...
12:20 PM - May 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}