Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 1/20
#ThreadChallenge

Flying

We had a wooden chest in the living room that seemed ten feet tall. After the harvest season, we filled the chest up to the top with freshly hulled rice and, sometimes, tiny white eyeless worms would crawl out from the chest on to the floor during the night.
04:35 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 2/20
We lived in a typical suburban house. A brick fortress surrounded the house with two huge iron doors, painted green. In the courtyard inside, I played with hula loops and my puppies who all died of tapeworm, and my mother tended to her plants and slaughtered chickens.
04:35 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 3/20
I used to follow my mother to the open-air market every day. At the market, I would coax her into buying me garish dresses or cheap rubber sandals and bananas that cost a small fortune. She managed to give me everything I asked for. She would tell me in confidence, "Don't tell your father."
04:36 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 4/20
I was less than a year old when I first tried to fly. Legend has it that I was crawling around the living room, then rolled over the edge of the room, and rolled down the concrete steps into the courtyard, dislocating my shoulders. I don't remember the event.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 5/20
The living room led to the kitchen, several feet below, connected by a staircase that could be lifted. Below it was another staircase leading to the basement. One day, the top staircase had been left up, so there was a big gap. Naturally I ended up at the bottom of the basement with a broken arm.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 6/20
I was the only one my mother trusted. She took me along when she left the house after fighting with my father. It happened only once. I woke up, and they were fighting. She quickly dressed me, and I asked her no questions.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 7/20
My father slipped some money into my pockets and said, "Don't stay out too long." But we did. We went to my aunt's house, where we brushed our teeth with freezing salt water. Then she took me to the zoo and the amusement park. I gave her the money my father had given me.
04:37 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 8/20
My father brought chocolates and oranges and puppies from the PX. He would whisper for me to come outside and then give me a little brown box tied with string. A puppy would make whimpering noises inside. "Don't tell your mother until tomorrow."
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 9/20
My father loved dogs. When they got sick, we would ride his bicycle and go to the vet. I held my little puppy in a box. The vet would tell us that the puppy had tapeworm. The next morning, the puppy was gone. When I asked my mother what happened, she said that my father had buried it that morning.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 10/20
In the bedroom, there was a wall closet a couple of feet above the floor. My mother stored blankets there. Once, during winter, when my mother had brought all of her plants indoors to keep them from freezing, I climbed into the closet. And then I tried to fly.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 11/20
Landing directly into a thorny plant with bright red flowers. My father spent several hours picking out the tiny thorns from my arms with tweezers. The next morning, the plant with the red flowers was gone.
04:38 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 12/20
Winter was a busy time for my mother. She constantly cleaned up after us. After a sled ride down the hill in front of our house. After a snowball fight on the roof, with the city below. After skating on the frozen lake, where I'd gotten dirty snow on my coat and eaten plenty of hot silkworm pupae.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 13/20
Winter was barely over, when my mother brought me to a strange place. She had been teaching me songs about cows and rabbits for months. Now, it was time to do my mother proud. I sang my heart out, freezing to death, barely able to see beyond the puff of steam from my mouth.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 14/20
All the children lined up, from shortest to tallest, outside of our classroom. Luckily, I was in the middle. So I got to sit in the middle of the classroom, where the only furnace in the gigantic room was placed.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 15/20
At the end of the day, my mother said, "Let's see if you can remember where your seat is. Go find your seat." I looked into that enormous room. There were rows and rows of identical desks. Somewhere in the middle, by that big black furnace.
04:39 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 16/20
"Mommy, I can't remember. Help me find it." My mother did help me find it but then, as we were coming home on the crowded bus, she said, "Your sister was able to find her desk immediately." I knew that my mother loved me more than anyone else, but I still felt lousy inside.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 17/20
I was always with my mother. When she fell into the basement, as I did once, and broke her wrists. When she argued with my drunk, abusive grandfather and with tears streaming down her face, she would clutch on to a kitchen knife and scream that she would kill herself.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 18/20
When she told me about the time she drank lye, because she hated my grandfather and hated being married. When she lay in her hospital bed, after part of her esophagus was removed, groaning in pain like some strange wounded animal. She had been so unhappy.
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 19/20
One day, she took me to see an anime film called "The Little Mermaid," and I found out then what it was like to love someone. You give up everything for that person but they don’t understand you and, in the end, you’ll have sacrificed every part of yourself. My mother had been like a little mermaid.
04:40 PM - May 25, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
thread 20/20
After we came home, I climbed up that big wooden chest full of rice in the living room. I was six years old, and I broke my shoulders for the last time that day.
04:40 PM - May 25, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
In response to Minnie the Pooh.
Fascinating story Minnie.

Wow, what a life. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with the Thread challenge.
07:12 AM - Jun 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}