Nathan Standing
A
"Every reporter knows this, but few will say it..."

The lines of defense against fascism:
1) Political norms
2) A free press
3) Fair representation and free elections
4) The courts
The GOP cleared out the first 3 and they've drilled holes in the judicial system.

Yes, we're in deep trouble.
04:29 PM - May 24, 2023
AnDMusic
A
In response to Nathan Standing.
I think the courts are in a more tenuous spot than the press (not that it's all that great either)
07:20 PM - May 24, 2023
Nathan Standing
A
In response to AnDMusic.
I can see your position, but I think the press has already failed us. Republicans have been brushing back objective journalism for decades. I'm not saying there hasn't been excellent news reporting, but most outlets normalize everything, including the worst behavior.
10:47 AM - May 25, 2023
AnDMusic
A
It was probably more of an indictment on the courts than a endorsement of media. The media landscape is siloed and that's dangerous, but the good thing is that news is still available. In general MSM orgs don't take their ability to motivate people seriously enough but...
In response to Nathan Standing.
08:14 PM - May 25, 2023
Nathan Standing
A
In response to AnDMusic.
The courts are the last resort, the last line of political defense. They're not the first defense. By the time things get into court, you've exhausted every other option.
10:21 PM - May 25, 2023
AnDMusic
A
In response to AnDMusic.
in an ideal world people could think more effectively $ it wouldn't matter as long as the news is available. We probably have more news at our fingertips than ever before so in that sense it's improvement from days where news orgs were more responsible but we relied on just one or 2 sources.
08:15 PM - May 25, 2023
Nathan Standing
A
In response to AnDMusic.
You make an excellent argument for why more news sources don't automatically give you better information quality.
10:22 PM - May 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}