Mara Einstein
A
Are you a younger boomer? Have you felt mislabeled, like me?

Now there’s a name for it—Generation Jones. (I hate the name, but the concept is spot on.)
07:52 AM - May 26, 2023
Kate Head
A
In response to Mara Einstein.
On the cusp with this one.
Wanted to go to Woodstock but my parents wouldn’t let me because I was 15. Listened to everything from Buffalo Springfield to Earth Wind and Fire. Early boomers deeply influenced my social justice and political interest but 70’ was the dance party 🎉.
10:48 AM - May 26, 2023
Mara Einstein
A
In response to Kate Head.
Totally! My mother brought me to Vietnam War protests and I still clearly remember out rabbi reading the names of young men who had died in my hometown. I was probably 8 or 9.

I desperately wanted to wear white go-go boots, but my mother wouldn't let me. That's Generation Jones!
01:54 PM - May 26, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
jones checking in. i was 7 during woodstock. the 70s-early 80s were my formative years. i loved the sex pistols & talking heads, not the dead. i sometimes think of myself as a proto x’er. i’m a cynic, not a flower child.
09:26 AM - May 26, 2023
Jeanne Davies
A
And I can’t read the article because the paywall but Boomers as a whole are in no way to be characterized as the “Woodstock counterculture.” That is laughable.
08:27 AM - May 26, 2023
Mara Einstein
A
In response to Jeanne Davies.
Exactly. I've never felt like I was part of that generation.

Millennials--which is now a larger generation than BB--hates being undifferentiated for the same reason. No group that large can be so simply defined.
09:16 AM - May 26, 2023
Jeanne Davies
A
I prefer to call myself an older Gen X. Gen Jones missed the Boomer gravy train. Young adulthood affected by Reagan, Thatcher, punk rock and New Wave. Divorced parents. Culturally more like Gen X imo.
08:14 AM - May 26, 2023
Steven McDermott
A
Pay walls suck.
07:56 AM - May 26, 2023
Debbie Lu
A
In response to Steven McDermott.
Equally frustrated. But I did find this https://www.generations.com/insights/early-boomers-generation-jones-meet-the-two-boomer-subgroups
Also hate the name but agree with the concept!
08:00 AM - May 26, 2023
Mara Einstein
A
In response to Steven McDermott.
Oh, sorry. Let me see if I can make this available.
09:10 AM - May 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}