Jess Martin
A
thread 1/16
The last of our first night #VividSydney installation was appropriately titled City Gazing. It's found underneath the coathanger - the #SydneyHarbourBridge

I could see it from Dawes Point and it looked remarkable. So we ventured upwards and like anything that night, there's a journey to get there.
08:40 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 2/16
In order to avoid the crowds at west Circular Quay, we decided to make our way via #TheRocks

And luckily for us, the night markets at the Rocks were in full swing!

It's only open over Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.therocks.com/w...
08:44 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 3/16
It was busy but not overwhelmingly so and more locals were hanging about.

The great thing about the night markets is the quality of the food is significantly higher than the commercial food trucks down by the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Hot chips for $12? Inflation and Vivid prices are OTT.
08:46 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 4/16
This captured my foodie eye - offered by Haberfield's That's Amore.

An authentic wood fired mobile pizza oven? In winter? Outdoors?

Yes please!

With their prices (compared to the dearer sad pizzas down by the Quay), I hope they'd enough turnover to at least make a reasonable profit.
08:50 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 5/16
Eventually, we made it up the hill and found the installation.

It is from a Dutch crew called Vouw.

https://www.vividsydney.co...
08:54 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 6/16
The pubs at #TheRocks were in full swing but the installation has, a pop-up outdoors bar with an elevated view towards the House.

Definitely a good spot for some city gazing.

And the great thing was, it felt like any other Friday night at The Rocks. Just a lot of chilling and relaxing.
08:57 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 7/16
Of course, with such a position, you might as well make the most of it. The House draws you in, she is the centre of attention, the city's jewel and the city's sun.

We are merely the audience...
08:59 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 8/16
We arrived just as the loop finished.

This is what the Bridge normally looks like any time of year - painted grey, industrial, the hand made rivets still visible.

It was called the iron lung because it was built at the height of the Depression and gave employment to so many.
09:02 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 9/16
A short official history is available through Transport NSW

To build the Bridge, they demolished houses and homes at The Rocks, ramming through the community.

https://roads-waterways.tr...
09:04 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 10/16
The installation starts off with a series of lit dots, like a constellation @bron1us
09:06 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 11/16
For the life of me, I tried to look for the origins of the city from the installation. Maybe it was a matter of perspective but several places could be where the First Fleet landing occurred.

Wa the orientation of the installation north or east? I wasn't too sure...
09:12 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 12/16
What made the installation quite atmospheric was the constant reminder of trains running overhead. The Bridge is a working one and when they first tested the Bridge's efficacy and strength, they loaded full carriage trains to see if it could handle the ensuing mass.
09:15 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 13/16
I like the little pulses of light as the installation grows like a spider's web. Unlike other cities, Sydney grew haphazardly - it was not well-planned at all. Compare Sydney's streets to say Melbourne or Parramatta, the centre of the city is bent and the grid pattern is a suggestion.
09:20 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 14/16
I suppose with any sort of installation, you can interpret it as you will - is this a stringed monster? A metropolis? Or a lit children's doodle?
09:23 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 15/16
I could make out some bays here, and there but I suppose this could also be any other metropolis that grew organically with nary a defined boundary.
09:25 PM - May 27, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 16/16
And so this was my final vid of the installation. It is worth visiting if you want a place away from the madding crowd, while enjoying the views of the House and this particular light show.
09:27 PM - May 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}