Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/3
I support Biden because he's sane, not a dictator, and the alternative amounts to a mass murder-suicide pact.

But I'm disturbed by the proposed debt ceiling "compromise". Giving ANYTHING to a hostage taker incentivizes more hostage taking.

He should have invoked the 14th Amendment weeks ago.
10:11 PM - May 27, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/3
Add to that that the proposed concessions, if I understand them correctly, will basically cap all discretionary spending for two years except defense (limiting our domestic agenda in 25 even if we win 24 in a landslide?), and spite the poor for being poor (new work requirements).
10:17 PM - May 27, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/3
Better than blowing up the world's economy with a default? Yeah. The only option now (as its unclear whether there'd be time to invoke the 14th Amendment)? Possibly.

But it shouldn't have got to that point. Biden needs to put out a clear plan for reforms to keep this from EVER happening again.
10:20 PM - May 27, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
Where is agreement posted? Haven't yet seen what is agreed to be able to comment properly. Listening to pundits doesn't seem to be a good use of time because they each push an agenda. If debt ceiling is lifted for 2 yrs that offers stability. What is cost? What precisely is offered in exchange?
12:46 PM - May 28, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Deb Prothero.
VERY basically, my understanding is the deal takes the debt off the table for 2 years (so past '24), in exchange for not increasing non-defence discretionary spending, and added work requirements for food assistance (with some exemptions, including for veterans). Not sure what else is in there.
08:24 PM - May 28, 2023
Justice Ginsburg's Umbrella
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
We’re talking about Biden—master maneuverer—versus McCarthy, witless toad.

Biden will win this.
10:30 PM - May 27, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Justice Ginsburg's Umbrella.
I hope so. Experience shows that Biden is a lot harder to beat than people tend to think.

But giving MAGA anything, especially after they took the world hostage, will never sit well with me.

Of course this deal having the votes to pass as is is still an open question, so... we'll see where it goes
11:41 PM - May 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}