Mary OContrary
A
thread 1/5
Memorial Day Remembrance:

“This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration, it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.” - Tamra Bolton

#memorialday
#MemorialDayWeekend
11:50 PM - May 28, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 2/5
One of only two times I saw my father cry was at this wall. He fought in Vietnam (two tours). I vividly recall visiting the memorial with him, watching him run his fingers over the wall, and then saw his raw emotional reaction when he found names he recognized.
11:06 AM - May 29, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 3/5
2nd time I saw him cry was 15 yrs later after I moved to CA. He flew to see me after my son was born (had never flown before because the war had left him with an intense fear of flying).

On a boat ride to Catalina Island during his visit, he shared the story behind that fear, and broke down.
11:12 AM - May 29, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 4/5
He had never even spoken about the war until that day, and on some level he and I had a much deeper connection and understanding after he did. His stories really opened my eyes to the horrors he had experienced firsthand.
11:21 AM - May 29, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 5/5
The war caught up to him in 2008 when he lost a battle with cancer that I have long believed was caused by Agent Orange, a toxic chemical that the U.S. military used to clear foliage during the Vietnam conflict.

He was diagnosed in 2000 and told he had 18 months to live. He turned that into 8 yrs.
11:35 AM - May 29, 2023
TrevWriter
A
In response to Mary OContrary.
The Vietnam Wall was one of the most moving memorials I've ever experienced. I didn't know a single name on it; but I still wanted to weep as I ran my fingertips over a few of them.

I protested that war, igniting my RW father's anger.
10:25 AM - May 29, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 1/5
One of only two times I saw my father cry was at this wall. He fought in Vietnam (two tours). I vividly recall visiting the memorial with him, watching him run his fingers over the wall, and then saw his raw emotional reaction when he found names he recognized.
11:06 AM - May 29, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
thread 1/5
2nd time I saw him cry was 15 yrs later after I moved to CA. He flew to see me after my son was born (had never flown before because the war had left him with an intense fear of flying).

On a boat ride to Catalina Island during his visit, he shared the story behind that fear, and broke down.
11:12 AM - May 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}